Can you take multivitamins whilst being on Venlafaxine?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Me and my husband are looking to try for a baby in the next month and wanted to know if it was safe to take multivitamins like pregnacare?

Also if I were to get pregnant can I still be on these tablets or is it best to change the meds?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

This is a category C drug, you shouldn'tstart or stop this without consulting your GP it should only be used if the benefits to you out weigh's the risks to your baby. If you get pregnant I would imagine your doctor would slowly taper you down if he feels youshouldn't be on it..... If you do stay on itthere is a risk to the baby if used in the third trimester (tube feeding, help with breathing and prolonged periods in hospital)

Pregnacare vitamins are obviously 100% safe.

Kate.

• Posted

No I definitely won't stop taking the tablet without consulting my doctor, he said to tell him if I do fall pregnant and inform him when we start trying and he can then give me a different med or like u say slowly ease me off of them. Have u had any experiences in this?
  • Posted

I had no choice but to have babies with venlafaxine on doses of 375mg (eldest), and 300mg per day for the others. At the time there was little or no research on the drug in pregnancy. I have three healthy sons aged 12, 9 and 5 and no miscarriages.  None spent more than a few days in hospital after birth. I've given more details on this in other posts. I would avoid taking medication during pregnancy if possible, but sometimes there isn't a choice.
    • Posted

That's what I am worried about as I suffer with anxiety bad and think if I stopped taking them I wouldn't be able to cope with carrying a baby, but me and my husband really want kids and I feel I am ready to try now, and as my doctor said there is another tablet I can take which I safer when pregnant, but quite a lot of people say u shouldn't take them because of the risks it can cause the baby sad xx
  • Posted

I wrote about my experiences with pregnancy in the "venlafaxine the positives!" thread.
  • Posted

I think you should discuss that with your GP  especially if it's ok to get pregnant and stay on the drug. I'm sure vitamins would be fine but best to ask . Best of luck !
    • Posted

Yes I am going to make an appointment with my doctor soon as I want to start trying ASAP but wanted some advice on personal experiences too.
  • Posted

You must ask your doctor about this if you are planning to get pregnant.  I think that is important.  I took lots of different supplements whilst taking Venlafaxine, but your doctor must advise you whether you should continue taking this medication if you plan on having a baby. 

Some ladies are told to stop or change their anti depressant whilst pregnant.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Anne. I am going to start trying soon so will speak with my doctor and see what he suggests. I won't start taking anything without discussing it with him first.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.