Can your body get used to Mirtazapine?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been on 45 mg of Mirtazapine for 5 years now.   It worked marvellously for over 4 of those years, but now I'm finding all the old symptoms are coming back - anxiety, depression and a LOT of anger at stupid things.   I haven't gone back to my GP - who isn't very sympathetic anyway - but am wondering if my body has got "used" to Mirtazapine, and I now need another drug.   Anybody out there been in a similar situation?  Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Madeleine

I took Venlafaxine for 12 years with no problems.  Then sudddenly, like you, they stopped working.  I think they call it "pooping"!.

From then on my GP tried me with various SSRIs but to no avail.  I then asked if I could go and see a physchiatrist.  The psychiatrist put me on 15 mg Mirtazapine and 150 Venlafaxine.  I told the psych. that I had been on both these drugs and they had both stopped working.  She said but it works as a combination.  Well they did and I was over the moon.  However, after a year they stopped working too.  I then saw the head psych. who was going to give me Lithium, which I wasn't keen on.  But as I was having an operation on my thumb, which I had broken, he said they didn't like to prescribe Lithium.

Anyway he put me on 225 mg Venlafaxine which only worked for about three months.  I haven't been back as I don't want to take Lithium.  I have the odd good day but most days I feel down.  Unlike before I don't stay in bed I make myself do things.  Twice a week I do voluntary work at the hospital and this helps.

I hope you have success with whatever method your offered.  Please let me know how you get on.

Pat xx

• Posted

Yes, mirtazapine is well known for 'pooping out'. I managed just over three years on it before all my symptoms returned. It did a very good job for those three years but once I realised they were no longer working, I took myself off them (very slowly over a period of 4-5 months). They are hard to get off for many people so you need to do it slowly.

• Posted

As previously stated it does wear off. Unfortunately I wasn't told this and was on it for many years. Symptoms got worse so it was increased. This only exacerbated the already 'painful' anxiety. Only this year was I told by a counsellor that the Mirtazapine can become ineffective. I'm now trying to come off it. My symptoms of anxiety have gone. I'm also reducing the Venlafaxine. My experience tells me that GPs are clueless, they just want to write a prescription. Have you tried reducing doses to see if it helps? This mus be done very slowly but it worked for me.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Everybody, thank you so much for all your advice, I know now I'm not going mad.   I think I will have to bite the bullet and go back to the G.P. but appointments with them are usually weeks away, so I will just continue as usual until I see her.   Will keep you posted.

Madeleine

• Posted

Hi - just to finish off my story.   I saw my GP who didn't agree that Mirtazapine could stop working, but then she didn't argue either.   Anyway as a result of me pressing her, she is tapering me off it, 15 mg a week (I keep reading that this is too drastic!).   In a week's time I will finish it, and start with Fluoxetine, I'm keeping fingers crossed this will work.   I have to say tapering it hasn't been too bad, apart from my irritability and a headache that will not shift.    Thanks for all your support, Madeleine.

• Posted

Have you felt better since reducing? Are you still on Venlafaxine? I'm still trying to come off the Mirtazapine. I am fine on 7.5mg but lower and I get sleep disturbance and sweating. I've taken 5.625mg this week and my sleep is so intermittent. Not helped by two deadlines imminent. I think I'm going to have to stick to 7.5mg for a few more weeks. Venlafaxine withdrawal ok so. I'm on 162.5mg at the moment. Good luck with your own health.

• Posted

Hi I've noticed the same thing, I started mirtazapine back in January, 15mg, then it suddenly had no effect, so I increased it myself because I couldn't get an appointment , to 45, and it seemed have the same effect as when I first started taking 15mg, just hoping I don't have to up it again 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.