Can your stomach become resistant to Acid Reflux medication?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone

I' ve been suffering from Acid reflux for about 1yr now

My doc prescribed Lansoprazle ,and for nearly a year it worked fine

But just recently it seems to have stopped working and my reflux is worse than ever , infact sometimes after taking my capsules I think its making my reflux worse .

I am going to ask my doc to change my medication

So do you think youre stomach can build up a resistance to prescribed acid reflux medication

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I think its more to do with the muscle between your stomach and ur oesophagus becoming more \"loose\"

The muscle doesn`t close as it should, hence, u get the reflux, which is acidic. The medication reduces the amount of acid produced, but if the muscle isnt working as it should,the reflux continues, thats maybe why it seems to have got worse.

Have the docs checked to make sure u don`t have an ulcer?

Omeprazole (Losec) is one of the \"better\" drugs for this, but is more expensive, hence the lanzoprazole initially.

Take Care

• Posted

Hi there Goodkat,

I have acid reflux and I am taking Ranitidine it seems to be working for now I have been on these since 8 nov 08 so fingers crossed they continue to work!!!!

Kind regards

• Posted

My reflux was diagnosed 18 yrs ago and my GP swapped my medication from ranitidine to lansoprasole a few years ago. He recommended a maintenance dose of 15mg after an initial period of 30mg, but experienced quite annoying breakthrough, so reverted to 30mg, which I still take now. This seemed to cause some concern (albeit financially) amongst the auditors of the practise, but I persisted. Even so, I occasionally get discomfort and have to supplement tabs with gaviscon. I don't feel personally that your 'system' gets used to the treatment for it to become less effective but that the condition itself intensifies due to the easing of the muscle as the condition gets older. Also it's good to check your diet, lifestyle etc as sometimes even subtle changes in diet or stress levels can affect you. I attended a consultation yesterday to enable me to consider surgery. Will know more in about 6 weeks. Hope this helps. All the best. Regards, Shaun
  • Posted

Hi Shaun,

Mine is due I think, due to all the anti inflammatories I take for my fibro and OA etc, and sometimes I get a horrible sensation in my throat as though it is very soar and burning, and it seemed to effect my breathing somehow.....so relieved when my GP prescribed these tablets as my breathing and soar throat seems better the only thing now I have laringytus at the moment so not being able to shout loud!!!! :lol:

I do hope that you are having a good day x

Regards

SES

• Posted

I had reflux controlled totally with 15 mg maintenence dose of ZOTON. Due to cost this was no longer available and I had to go onto generic Lansoprazole. It did not work. Spent one year on various doses/manufacturers of generic Lansoprazole. Now at last have found one that works. Does anyone else have bad experience of generic meds?
  • Posted

Hi shaun, not sure if you will get this message, but i am having bad time with my acid reflux at mo i am taking 30mg lanoprazole not sure how well they work! a coarse of antibiotics flared it up, and i have now started taking antidepressants as i felt i could not cope, i have also had this problem for 18 years on and off bad for the last 7 and am now thinking surgery so would love to hear how you get on.
  • Posted

Hi, Eleanor,

I was on zoton 30mg and found it to be good, and then as you say they took it off the market, and i complained to my dr that i felt the gen med was not working as well and was told that they were exactly the sam and it was in my head! perhaps you cld let me know which one you use.

regards carol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.