Can Zoloft be split 25mg/am-25mg/pm?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been taking25mg Zoloft for depression for 3weeks.little change put on 50mg has anyone done better taking it 25mg/am,25mg/pm?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jesus,

Interesting concept. I take 100 mg every night. Splitting it up sounds harmless, but like you, I wonder about effectiveness. If you try it, I would like to know the results of your experience. Perhaps this is a question for your doctor? I wonder if it would even out side effects, or stretch them unbearably out?

Take care!

💛 Dawn, USA

• Posted

the dont make a 25mg pill do they   take whenoulie bu AM for most  5mg you should feel better on
  • Posted

Yes, I was on 50mg Sertraline back in June-Aug of 2014 an I would cut pill in half an take half in a.m. half in p.m.In the U.S. It seemed to work ok. Not as much stomach issues. I always ate first an ate yogurt alot for diaherra that comes with startup on SSRI. Iv read alot of negative reviews of Sertraline on here. Most fr people who haven't been on it very long an I guess expect a miracle in a wk! Doesn't work that way. Usually the drug works (if you are on correct dosage) fr 3-4 wks up to 8 wks sometimes. It may take that long. When you put a foreign drug in your body, its not going to be fun for awhile. Sideeffects will surface while adjusting. Thats with any medication. Sertraline helped me immensely but I had sideeffects also. Diaherra,wt loss,an liver enzymes went up a little. I stopped it after 2 1/2 mnths. I shouldn't have. It was helping alot mentally an I think sideeffects would have tapered off as time went on. Tried Lexapro. No way. Sleepy all time, did nothing mentally an gained alot of wt. Now back on Sertraline @25mg now for 2 wks. Staying @ 25 for another wk or so. I have calmed down anxiety wise. But I think I need to go up to 50 again.

Hope that helped.

• Posted

cutting a 50mg pill in half and taking it 25morn and 25 night   is not taking a 50mg dose  . you are only taking 25mg and topping it up with another 25mg at night . you have to take what ever 50mg your given in 1 go for it to work
    • Posted

NOT true on the splitting of a 50mg pill. I split a 50mg pill an my Dr said it was fine. It helped with the sideeffects at furst start. It also helped me mentally as if I was taking a whole pill. R u in the medical field? I am. An have taken pharmacology. Everyone responds differently to splitting of doses just like everyone has different reactions to a whole pill. If taking the whole pill isnt working then try halfing an taking half in morning an half at night. Or other way around. Just be consistent. Take @ same time everyday.
  • Posted

Thank you all for your advice this forum has been one thing that has been keeping me hopeful and hope to be well soon with anyone else going through the same.
  • Posted

sertraline is a 1 dose med if you get 50mg you take 50mg not split it , read up about it , your dr is not clued up , think about it you only putting 25mg in you body and just topping up with 25more at night , you need the hole 50 mg entering the blood stream

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.