Canadian Snowbirds...should we go to Florida or not?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed just over 3 months ago with TN...atypical TN.  I have been on 4 different meds and never pain free for more than 2 days.  I am on the list for MVD in the spring or early summer.  Here is my situation.  We are Canadians who are fortunate enough to winter in Florida...for 6 months.  My out of province insurance will not cover the TN or anything related to it...pre-existing.  Do I take a 6 months supply of current and potential meds and go?  I dread the thought of my husband and I spending the winter up here...feel sorry for him, plus the cold is a trigger for my TN.  I would appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this situation.  Also any info on physicians that might help if I get into trouble in the North Fort Myers/Fort Myers/Cape Coral/Punta Gorda area.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Karen, my personal opinion as that I wouldn't be going anywhere. Cold also triggers my tn and I spent last winter virtually only moving between my bedroom and our family room, both of which are heated. I hardly even looked out the door. Boring as this may sound (Foxtel does not make it any better, really) it was better than the horrendous pain of Tn. A full blown attack would send me to my knees or under the bedclothes not daring to move a muscle. I admit that the winters here are not as cold as in Canada but, still, if you suddenly got worse (which can happen at any time) you will want your own doctors nearby and all the medical help you can get in Canada.

• Posted

Go for it karen......you have your medication,load up on it.I assume you have insurance so if you need to see a doctor hopefully you are covered.If it all gets too awful for you painwise fly back to your doctor in Canada.I spend up to six months in a very poor country(Nepal)every year and I take all my medication and more.Once I was so relaxed I had no pain and went down on my medication!Hugs!
    • Posted

I will have lots of meds but no insurance.  I know OHIP will reimburse some of the cost....fyi ...always have to get the treating US doctor's billing codes.  I am on no med right now...clearing my system over the next couple of days...doctor's orders...then I am suppose to go back on Gabapentin...very slowly.

• Posted

I agree with Wanganui. There's no reason not to go, as long as you have meds.

• Posted

I will have lots of meds with me, including back up meds!
  • Posted

I am an Ohio person who winters in Fla. In Dec 2013 had a TN attack & found a wonderful Doc, Melvin Field, in Winterpark - just outside of Orlando & he

provided relief and performed a Gamma Knife surgery. Look him up if you go

to Fla & have a problem. No help in southern Fla. Dr Melvin Field is a neurosurgeon renowned for TN treatment

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.