Canceling colonscopy....no way I can do prep!!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm 47 and my father passed away from colon cancer. I've been having constipation, small stools, rectal spasms so due to all that I am supposed to have my first colonoscopy. That is, until I read the prep instructions. Unfortunately due to the fact the I get constipated I have to have a more thorough prep. Sorry to sound like a wuss but NO WAY can I consume all that. Miralax, magnesium citrate AND Ducolax??? Seriously??? When my constipation is at it's worse I take 3 Ducolax and that alone gives me violent diarrhea!!! All that is going to kill me! Plus my procedure isn't until 2PM. I am probably going to pass put by then from hunger, dehydration or both. I really can't do this!!! I think I will just take my chances...

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

wow. come on you can do it. the trick is not to think about it. I would say your father would want you to do this. my wife does this every other year because she had lymphoma. she handles it like a champ. she does prep all day in and our of bathroom. the day of the test she has an endoscopy and colonoscopy done. she told me she does it because she loves us and doesn't want to let us down. bless her heart. come on I had it done too. It's not as bad as you think. Do it for your love one's. Good Luck and may God give you the strength to have this test done. Please everyone on this forum will want you to do this.

• Posted

Just wanted you to know your not alone I have every symptom of Colon Cancer I'm 50 My problem is I already have severe vicious diarhrea When I did prep before I threw up a lot of the prep And I ended up in the emergency room from dehydration It was a nightmare I can't do it again There has to be other ways Wouldn't you think It's 2019 I would have assumed they would have come up with other ways to look inside the colon My doctor was no help I'm getting a new doctor I wish you well I at least know I'm not the only one who cannot endure the barbaric test

All my love Ally

• Posted

i understand where youre coming from but you can do this. Ive had it done twice now. After the first time i did vow never again but when youre faced with certain conditions that can potentially be life threatening or can be treated and you have family/friends who love you, then you will find the strength and courage to go through with it. I'll be honest, it isnt pleasant but its not as bad as you think either and afterwards go and treat yourself to something you totally love to eat(sod the calories) I hope and pray you do go ahead and hopefully ease your mind.

You can do this

Best of luck

• Posted

I'm guilty of not being able to consume the huge nasty liquid and I've had a colonoscopy twice .. first time I managed less than half I was so poorly my body genuinely would not allow me to drink it my reflux was going mental each time I went to sip BANG I was sick .. but I can tell you they will still help you dont listen to bullying, if you cant do it you cant do it the doctors and nurses will understand... also a bottle can be used to irrigate the bowel somewhat so if you have managed a glass of the liquid or two or whatever the bottle cleanse will also help and I'm sure they will try it in hospital. go to your appointment and tell them your body has been fighting you through every sip ... good luck and do go to the appointment still . my. aunty suggested lime juice with it. I still couldnt do it but some say it helps xx

• Posted

oh and the bottle cleanse works quickly to empty bottom half of colon x

• Posted

To be honest, I wouldn't have a colonoscopy either for exactly the same reasons as you, plus I cannot tolerate any type of sedation. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.What matters is what you can/cannot cope with. Are you having any abdominal pain that moves about, that worsens with stress or food? If so, it may be IBS. I had small stools, constipation, abdominal pain, nausea and spells of loose stools/diarrhoea at the age of 42. I was diagnosed with IBS.

• Posted

If you could only consume half of the liquid it is usually acceptable. It is not as bad as you think. When you awake you will not even know that the procedure was done. It's worth knowing the results.

• Posted

I had a problem with the prep. there are 2 that I know of the first one is a gallon of yuck. I think you have to drink a certain amout every 15 minutes until finished. I had to drink that because I was having abdominal surgery. I couldn't finish it either started vomiting. Called the doctor he said dint finish it. That was many years ago. I recently had a colonoscopy and my doctor gave me one that wasn't bad at all. I think it was like a pint or quart of liquid and it didn't make me sick. please do this because the alternative could be devastating like cancer. Cancer is far worse then drinking this prep. Ask your doctor about a different one.

• Posted

I would explain to the hospital that you physically can't swallow all the prep, and ask if there's something else requiring less swallowing but will have the same effect. I've had 3 clear-outs with different stuff each time. Miralax I struggled to swallow and keep down, but the other two required far less swallowing and were fine - Picalax was one if I recall. Ask yourself if you can put up with a day's discomfort and hunger for peace of mind. I started my prep at 6pm and had the colonoscopy at 5.40pm the following day.

• Posted

First off, sorry to hear about your father, given your symptoms this must weigh heavily on your mind. I have to ask, why do you take Dulcolax? It sounds like you have been taking it for quite some time. Were you recommended or prescribed it by a Doctor? It is dreadful stuff and only really meant for occasional use to treat bouts of constipation caused by things like eating rich food or foods that you are not used (such as when you have been abroad) or when you are a bit blocked after illness etc. It's not meant for, and shouldn't be used, long term for a recurrent problem. I ignored my symptoms for quite some time and just took Dulcolax (and other various over the counter products) and hoped for the best. Eventually i had to admit that things weren't really improving and plucked up the courage to visit a Doctor. My GP gave me a bit of a (friendly) lecture on using the stuff and the importance of seeking medical attention when an issue such as chronic constipation or abdominal pain doesn't resolve. I found that when i was taking Dulcolax not only did it cause me quite unpredictable and (as you rightly describe) violent diarrhoea, but also i constantly felt like i was going to vomit - not nice. As to the prep, sure it's not the most pleasant of things but there are some steps you can take to minimise the effects. I found that eating the bare minimum (just enough to keep you functioning) for the two days before the day of the procedure also helped, especially low fibre foods, that way there is less matter in your system to flush out on the day and you may be able to drink less of the mix if it really does disagree with you that much. Try to increase your fluid intake during this period to ensure you don't become dehydrated. Also, i used an anaesthetic spray to spray the back of my throat before swallowing the mixture, which proved surprisingly effective. Do you have a good relationship with your GP? Try talking to them about your concerns over the procedure. If the time of the appointment bothers you contact either your Doctor or the Hospital to see if you can re-arrange, i was contacted by my Hospital booking department with a choice of dates and AM/PM slots, as i wanted the procedure done as early as possible. In my case they were very accommodating and understanding. Reading between the lines, and i am being a bit presumptuous here, i get the feeling that it's not just the colonoscopy that is worrying you, but equally the outcome, which is entirely understandable given that colon cancer took your father from you. Do also be aware that stress, anxiety and depression can all manifest themselves in symptoms such as abdominal pains, constipation etc (as in my case). It doesn't take an awful lot to upset the body's natural rhythm. I realise that your post was several days ago so your appointment date may have come and gone. If so i hope you went and that the outcome was a positive one. If your appointment date has not yet arrived please give serious re-consideration about not going.

Meanwhile, can i wish you all the best for a good outcome.

• Posted

Ask your doctor about Clenpiq it is two bottles of cranberry flavored drink that actually isn't bad. Matter of fact of the colonoscopys that I have had done, it was by FAR the best!!! It is only 2 8oz bottles I drunk one that morning at like 10 and the other at 5 that evening. So easy I wouldn't mind doing it again. Thankfully my Doc said not for 10 years.

Give it a try I think you will be good with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.