Cancelled appointment

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi

can anyone help me with this i have started maintainance stage for haemochromatoisis, i was due to have my blood tested but due to corona virus my appointment has been cancelled attached to my hospital letter was a letter saying due to my underlying blood condition or the treatment you have received in the past, i should stay at home. im still working does anyone know if this means i should not be working i can not get through to hospital or my GP

if anyone can help with this i would be grateful

allycat

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My appointments were cancelled to until June

If I was you I suggest you e mail your surgery they will respond quickly mine do in a day

Our condition is not recognised to be in the high vulnerable category

if you are in a job that us essential as defined by government maybe continue if not stay home this covid is a killer not worth taking any chances

if you have any underlying issues stay at home best call

stay healthy

tom

• Posted

Your misunderstanding a little by saying stay at home they mean you're haemochromatoisis doesn't require urgent attention like say cancer treatment.

You can miss a few appointments with little to no health risk.

There no urgent need to go to the hospital and increase your risk of getting covid 19.

They canceled mine to 😃

• Posted

hi

i know i can miss appointments but should i be working if im not a key worker, i work in a store. its the work side off things im not sure about

Thank you for your reply

allycat

• Posted

Untreated haemochromatosis can affect your immune system and make you prone to infections. Generally you move into maintenance stage when your ferritin reaches <50, so if this is the case then you are in a better position. Regardless, Covid does not care, so best to take all the precautions that have been outlined.

If you are in the US, follow Australian or New Zealand rules, as US rules don't appear to be working. In Australia and New Zealand, non essential businesses are shut down.

You are not likely to get a firm recommendation other than stay at home from the hospital or gp. Perhaps you can talk to your Human Relations or Personnel Officer at your work, or at least your boss, regarding options.

Good luck, everyone needs some.

• Posted

hi there im in same situation..needing blood out but cant go to hospital or local drs...said come back in summer ill be a wreck by then..I get severe aches in joints muscles and get confused cant work when things get bad...could be much worse I know but bad enough when stops you enjoying life...best wishes..no idea where im going to go...

• Posted

Hi Ally, i think i stay home if i was you, especially if your not a youngster,you,d be at greater risk i would have thought (but i,m not a doctor) i,v e been on maintenance for several years now and prior to the outbreak i,d just had a blood test and was due a venesection or two, but it was cancelled,its been several weeks now and my levels will be rising daily, hopefully things will get back to normal sooner than later, the only advise i got from the hospital was to contact my GP if i started to feel ill, and they would contact the hospital, take care Chris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.