Cancelled surgery breaches 18 weeks

Posted , 2 users are following.

My day surgery for a knee anthrascapy  has just been cancelled. I'd had my pre-med and was ready to go in in 5 days time. I was really looking forward to being able to walk again and get my life back. Reason given for cancelation "no theatre" staff although I'm not sure that I'm being told the truth. The date I had for surgery was right up at the end of my 18 weeks right to treatment under the NHS constitution despite being told in December that it would be quite soon. Next date available is 2 months away. Do I have any redress with the hospital in insisting things happen faster, I'm not getting anywhere with the consultant's secretary. It's quite a big hospital with over a dozen knee surgeons.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

The target was to meet 92% within eighteen weeks, however the target was abandoned in 2017. You can always keep phoning the hospital to see how things are going. It may have an effect. A lot of elective surgery was cancelled in January due to flu and bad weather problems such as broken bones. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.