Cancer and dehydration

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi looking for advice! I will try and keep this short my mother has terminal cancer it started two years ago and she was diagnosed with ibs in and out of the doctors and loss of weight until she was eventually admitted good friday last year we were told she had a obstruction and stomach cancer clots in her lungs and one near her heart she had weeks to live.after a operation and a year on with frequent admissions to hospital needing rehydrating and blood transfusions she is home again.but however now shes hardly drinking or eating and for the last few days has not got out of bed.im fearing that she may not have long but hopeful is there anything anyone can suggest to try make her drink and eat if so what? thanks in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Is she opposed to feeding tubes ?

If nausea is the problem ,there are many medicines for that.

And last ,some patients are helped by medicalmarijuana.

Report Reply
  • Posted

So very sorry to hear of your mother's condition. When my mother was terminally ill and getting very poorly near the end, she also stop wanting to eat or drink - she said nothing tasted right and she just wasnt interested. We brought her little portions of her favourite foods, ones that were easy to swallow - some really odd combinations but who cares as long as she liked it and was able to eat a little. In my mum's case that was jellied eels, prawn cocktail sandwiches and rice pudding. Try thinking of things your mother would consider a real treat and offer little amounts. Sharp flavours work well if her taste buds are affected, eg lemon meringue etc. I hope she remains comfortable and my best wishes to you during a difficult time.

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up