Cancer and dehydration

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi looking for advice! I will try and keep this short my mother has terminal cancer it started two years ago and she was diagnosed with ibs in and out of the doctors and loss of weight until she was eventually admitted good friday last year we were told she had a obstruction and stomach cancer clots in her lungs and one near her heart she had weeks to live.after a operation and a year on with frequent admissions to hospital needing rehydrating and blood transfusions she is home again.but however now shes hardly drinking or eating and for the last few days has not got out of bed.im fearing that she may not have long but hopeful is there anything anyone can suggest to try make her drink and eat if so what? thanks in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Is she opposed to feeding tubes ?

If nausea is the problem ,there are many medicines for that.

And last ,some patients are helped by medicalmarijuana.

• Posted

So very sorry to hear of your mother's condition. When my mother was terminally ill and getting very poorly near the end, she also stop wanting to eat or drink - she said nothing tasted right and she just wasnt interested. We brought her little portions of her favourite foods, ones that were easy to swallow - some really odd combinations but who cares as long as she liked it and was able to eat a little. In my mum's case that was jellied eels, prawn cocktail sandwiches and rice pudding. Try thinking of things your mother would consider a real treat and offer little amounts. Sharp flavours work well if her taste buds are affected, eg lemon meringue etc. I hope she remains comfortable and my best wishes to you during a difficult time.

• Posted

thank you so much for your kind answer we will try that x

• Posted

Both my parents had cancer. Dad Prostate and Dementia, about the last week ate virtually nothing, tried mousses, yoghurts, jelly, trifle, fruit like nectarine, banana. The odd choccy, a biscuit, if it looked as though I was eating them. Ma had Pancreatic and so did my partner, neither ate barely even drank. My step daughter made him carrot & coriander smoothies which he tipped in to my rubber plant soon as she went out the room. He did have warm milk and brandy two or three times. Ma was in California and I flew out not knowing I had just missed her. she did not speak to anyone for 3 weeks, barely drank and ate basically nothing. I think food and drink go out the window but try cocoa, ovaltine,bovril. Junket, jellies, milk jelly, rice pudding made with cream, egg custard or custard tarts, gooseberry fools, black or redcurrant, any thing that would be eaten as a girl. Rice custard.Bill ate spotted dick. In morrisons they have a lemon posset, small syrup sponges, Marks do a lovely custard or Vanilla sauce. I remember having junkets when ill as a child. Fruits were grown, berries, milk puddings. I hope you find something to tempt, savoury daft things like blinis (Marks) cream cheese & smoked salmon, caviar. Things you can sit and pick at so it is not a big deal, like a minute picnic, innocently eat asking "I am having a spot of something, if you don't mind... I have ... here fancy a bite. Napkins, not plates, looks less of a fuss and keep the innocent look, we Mothers know every look. If the family are there let them play their part, not scoffing the lot like a giant tuck shop. Be prepared not to get anywhere but Mothers always like to see their own eating so regardless you can create a jolly atmosphere, put old Black & Whites on tv, look through old albums, sing old songs, struck me with Daddy those days were what he wanted to talk about, people and places. Good luck, at least you know you will have done your best and won't later think you wish you had done, said. My heart goes out to you, keep talking about her, to her why not. God bless, chin up xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.