Cancer diagnosis, do I tell them?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I have just been diagnosed with cancer. I won't know the likely outcome until after surgery to hopefully remove it. Is it best I tell DWP or not? I currently get lower PIP payment.

TIA

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i mary so sorry to hear but i would advise you to contact the DWP if only for advice

• Posted

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that. Unless you've been diagnosed as terminal and have less than 6 months then there's no need to report the changes because PIP isn't about a diagnosis.

Also the 3 month rule will apply here, if the terminal one doesn't. This means you must have had the condition for at least 3 months to receive a higher award, if the descriptors apply to you.

I really don't mean to sound harsh just incase you think i am. I just don't want you to report the changes unless your functional conditions have got worse because reporting a change of circumstances means more forms, more face to face assessment and you could lose everything you already have.

Good luck with the treatment and i hope everything goes ok for you!!! xx

• Posted

Thank you Denise, you have confirmed what I thought. Unless, or until, I am on a short road left, I will not inform them.

• Posted

You're welcome Mary. I hope everything goes well for you! Please take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.