Cancer risk?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was reading about Epstein Barr's virus and most sources say it is related to certain types of cancer (lymphoma.) I don't drink and I don't smoke. I drink lots of water and I try to eat healthy but I'm terrified of getting cancer.

Most people get mono when they're kids/teens/young adults. Does anyone know if people who got the disease as an adult (+25 years old) are at greater risk? eek

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dan,

maybe be there is a higher risk but don't worry about something you have no control over. I also have glandular fever and I don't drink or smoke either and I'm 40! Better days are happening but it's so slow. 

I can't even think about anything else other than just getting better from this virus. I'd say don't worry. Xx

• Posted

Hey Dan,

When I went through the virus I was scared when I read those kind of stories too - I just want to reassure you that it's highly unlikely anything like that would happen - if you consider that they say that 75% of the world population is infected with the glandular fever virus, then take heart from that because it's no more likely that that they might say it for something else - so don't want you to worry and the vast majority of people do get better, and the fact you don't drink or smoke and eat healthily makes it all the more likely you will make a full recovery, and no I'm not aware of anything that says anything aged 25+ is at greater risk so try not to worry about that and just focus on taking things slowly - it can take some time to recover fully so don't panic if it doesn't come right away it can be normal for that to happen but still make a full recovery, this is what happened for me.

Craig

• Posted

Thanks your responses. I feel calmer now. I must admit that I should stop googling my symptoms. I get very anxious whenever I read the word "cancer risk". Feeling tired all the time with all these symptoms makes me think about the worst. I guess I'll have to be patient because a full recovery is not going to happen overnight.

• Posted

It's only natural Dan to feel that way, yes it's only the bad stories you read about on google usually but this forum here has some amazing people on it who give good advice and encouragement rather than scaremongering stories.

Hang in there you are definitely going to get better - I know it's not easy to be patient but it will come!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.