Cancer scare

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm a 52 year old white male. Two years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  This past February I was urinating more than I thought I should. So I went to my Doctor. She did a urinalysis.  They found blood in my urine and sent me to a urologist.  The urologist did another urinalysis and a rectal check. There was no blood this time and the rectal check was normal. They had me come back for a CT Scan of my abdominal and pelvic area, a PSA blood draw and a cystoscopy.  They said everything came back normal.  I accepted this for awhile but fear over took me and I began doubting my Doctor.  Since this time I've had 2 CT Scans of my head, 3 chest xrays,  and several blood test. They say they all are normal. Every time I have anything that I think is a symptom I run in thinking I have cancer. My Doctor thinks I'm suffering from "Health Anxiety." She put me on the antidepressant Effexor Xr 37.5 mg. Which I think makes me spaced out. Do you think I should trust the urologist and my normal Doctor? That its all in my head? Are they obligated to tell me the truth? And do you think they've done enough test?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I'm absolutely sure that you've probably had more than enough tests and that your doctor is spot on when he told you that you have health anxiety. And yes, he would have to tell you everything and you should trust him. Health anxiety is a medical condition in itself. But if the medication is interfering with your day to day life tell your doctor, there are many different types of medications that can help you and it's trial and error to find the right one sometimes. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks JOY! I have talked to her this week about the medication. It started giving me bad thoughts and feelings. I'm weaning off of it. I'm not going to try another antidepressant. Every one I've tried has been bad for me. Thanks again for comments. It's been a rough 6 month patch but I'll make it through it.

• Posted

Of course you will. I was diagnosed with lymphoma and then a few months later an unrelated brain tumour and you'd be surprised how well you can cope with things when you have to. Two years on and I'm still smiling! Take care.

• Posted

You have a great day! Ever need to talk I'm here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.