Candesartan & Alcohol

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on Candesartan now for about 3 weeks after coming off Amlodipine because of the swollen ankles and BP not coming down. My BP is coming down slowly but I've noticed a couple of side effects. My acid reflux seems to be near constant even though I'm taking 300mg Ranitidine daily and if I have any alcohol (even just 1 glass of wine), after about an hour, I feel sick and washed out. I'm waking up in the middle of the night with a racing pulse and feeling light headed.

I'm sure this is down to the Candesartan because this began soon after I started this drug.

Has anyone had any similar problems drinking alcohol & taking Candesartan?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've been taking Candersartan for about 6 years now.  Not a big drinker of alcohol - a glass of wine now and then, occasional gin and tonic.  No reaction at all.  BP is good.  Maybe it's the Ranitidine as well?

• Posted

Hi Louise, thanks for the reply. I’m fairly certain it is the Candesartan because the symptoms started a couple of days after I started the medication. I will keep an eye on it for the next few weeks and if it does not go away, then back to G.P.
  • Posted

hi, james, the side effects with losartan can settle down to acceptable for some, mine did when i reduced the dose, and things were just about ok  faor a while, though still worse acid reflux, but now things are worsening again, after 3 months use - very disheartening as v gd bp.  the list of symptoms i had at first include some you mention - i just include the whole list from 3 months ago - i do not drink any alcohol

thirst, pulse up, speeding heart, speedy, irritable feeling,   low mood,  breathlessness, uncomfortable chest tightness, surges of body heat, and, over days, a change in heat tolerance, Acid reflux worse, with shoulder blade pain, Digestion iffy all time ...... mild headache,  bouts of diarrhoea

• Posted

jamesk..first off., we're always told it's never a good idea to drink alcohol when taking medications, however it's ok for say 1 glass of wine. Acid Reflux can be a real s.o.b.  to calm. I'm battling the same thing, but not having much luck. My Dr. has me taking prescription Tecta...I was trying to wean down to a table every-other-day, but when I do, I pay for it. Glad you're off the Amlodipine. If you look that medication up here on the forum, you'll find complaint, after complaint, after complaint about it. I for one suffered when taking it. 

The Ranitidine may need to be adjusted, or perhaps you may have to take something else. I don't see how the Candesartan would worsten your acid reflux., in fact, I've never heard of any bp medication worstening reflux.

By all means get back to your Dr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.