Candesartan and lowering bp

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on 8mg of Candesartan daily for about 10 weeks. My reading was 128/66. Is this too low? I'm 62 years old.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I would say that was perfect.  Mine is sometimes that reading and yes if  isa worry thinking it us too low

• Posted

Thanks for this. I'll admit to being a bit of a worrier, so you've made me feel better.
    • Posted

Good reading, in fact to be perfect you could get systolic down to 120 so no not too low.

Congratulations for finding a bp med that does what it says on the packet.

• Posted

Thanks. Have to admit that it was 3rd time lucky. Amlodipine & Ramipril controlled bp, but I suffered from side effects.
    • Posted

Third time lucky compared to some is not bad going, my OH was lucky as he was put on enalapril and it worked first off.

Was it really high to start off with.

• Posted

Hi. My BP was about 148/98 to start with, so I don't suppose it was sky high.
  • Posted

Your reading looks 'spot on'.  If you can keep it under 130, then it's good; under 120 is even better.

I'm currently on Lisinopril 2.5 mg and suffering from the awful dry cough.  I'm going to ask my GP to change my med, and was thinking of requesting Losartan.  Have you suffered any side effects with the Candesartan?

• Posted

No side effects on Candesartan that I can be sure of. A bit of muscle stiffness, but that could be just ageing.
    • Posted

Hi even your pre treatment bp was not massively high, do you have other health issues and did they try lifestyle changes before medication and 7 day home monitoring, just curious as to how you ended up on medication.
    • Posted

Hi. Last November I had a burst duodenal ulcer. This led to an endoscopy to seal the ulcer, and a complete change of diet. My BP was monitored in hospital, and had a follow up at my local surgery where BP pills were started. I didn't have a home monitor, but my gp has a do it yourself bp machine in the waiting room for people like me with `white coat syndrome` so was able to monitor it regularly.
    • Posted

Hi glad they managed to get your ulcer treated but find it strange they didn't do a home monitor, I am presuming you are not anxious about having bp checked so white coat syndrome didn't come into it.
    • Posted

Actually, I do suffer a bit with the white coat thing. This monitor in the waiting room is brilliant. Just take 3 readings & put the printouts in an envelope for your GP. Any problems & they will contact you.
    • Posted

Yes we have an automated machine in our Drs foyer but they still do home monitoring as my Dr said you can still feel stressed but yours doesn't seem to be caused by that otherwise I don't think they would medicate on low numbers.

Mine go much higher than yours when stressed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.