Candesarten - Anyone found it helps??

Posted , 5 users are following.

After suffering migraines/headaches for nearly 40 years I have tried everything under the sun and nothing works.  Recent prophylaxis are Amitriptyline, Propranolol, Topirimate and Epilim. None worked all left me with bad side effects. 

My Neuro has now put me on Candesartan, been taking 16mg a day since April and so far no change, he says it can be a slow burner, but how long is that??  Still getting between 10 - 15 attacks a month.

Anyone else been prescribed it and how long did it take to work if it worked at all??

Thanks

YL

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Yorkshire lass,yes I tried candesartan for 6 months.I had really bad side effects on it and it made no difference to my attacks,if anything I felt worse due to the side effects.Have you tried flunarazine or Botox?ask your Neurologist to change your meds as you should have seen some sort of improvement by now.Unfortunately nothing I have been prescribed has helped so far but I'm just about to start Mirtazapine and am praying that will help.Let us know how you get on x

• Posted

Hi Jeanette

Thanks for your reply, I must admit I would have thought I would see some changes by now, think I'll go back and see him.

I haven't tried flunarazine or botox, so I'll mention them to him and see what he says.

Good luck with mirtazapine, hope it works and I'd like to hear how you get on aswell x

• Posted

Hello Yorkshire lass, sorry to hear of your suffering. Like you, I have also been a migraine sufferer for over 40 years and like you have tried everything, no one thing seems to trigger them and nothing seems to work.

I thought I had found the answer 3 years ago when I was put on Pizotifen, although it didn't reduce the frequency ever 10/14 days, it did reduce the intensity so I was able to get by with just taking paracetamol extra instead of sumatriptan BUT about this time last year I started to get them nearly every day, so back to the doctors, referred to neurologist. She seemed to think that I was easy to treat, recommended increasing the Pizotifen and for the first time ever an MRI scan. That came back all clear and the increased Pizotifen hasn't worked either.

The only ' good ' thing is that most of my attacks start first thing in the morning when I wake up so if I take a couple of paracetamol extra ( aspirin and caffeine) they go within an hour or so and I am able to get on with my day but I do get fed up with waking up nearly every morning with a headache.

Sorry I haven't come up with anything positive for you, I just thought that I would share my experience, I was hoping that as I got older I might grow out of them, I am retired, I have no stress and as I said before I can't think what triggers them. I haven't heard of candesarten, so I don't think it's one I tried, what type of preventative is it and I'm assuming you're in UK?

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Kath

Thanks for your reply, it's good to hear other people's stories, makes you realise you're not on your own as that's what is seems like sometimes.  Like you I haven't got a clue what triggers them, but also like you a lot of them will start during the night, usually between midnight and 2am, so I take eletriptan and it's gone within 30 minutes, although I'm restricted to 10 a month which is difficult.  Ibuprofen and paracetamol don't even touch the sides.

Never had an MRI and never even been suggested, I have almost got to the stage when I think nothing will ever work, my neruo even said last time that it is my default setting that I get migraines and we'll probably never get to the bottom of it.

I'm 50 and yes in the UK, York to be precise, I do work full time running our own business which can be stressful so probably doesn't help.

Candesarten lowers the blood pressure and is a new one as far as preventative medicine is concerned, but doesn't seem to be helping.  Never tried Pizotifen.

Thank you 

YL

• Posted

Hi Yorkshire, I've suffered chronic for 3 years with migraines, tried many different medications, for me candersartan, have helped in reducing the intensity of the pain, took a good four week's although I still suffer daily I find the pain manageable .

Shaheen

• Posted

Hi Shaheen

I'm glad it has worked for you, what I have found is, instead of my attacks being clustered, they are more spread out which I think is worse.  At least when they're clustered I can go maybe 2 weeks sometimes 3 without one, now I'm not going no more than 4 days without an attack.

Sorry you suffer daily, at least I do have the odd day off.

YL

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.