Canker sores

Posted , 4 users are following.

so I stopped my doctors office today and asked about why I keep getting canker sores at least once a week or maybe every other week. I know I've been under a lot of stress and I'm kinda panicking about other health issues.... later on in the day he called in an order for valacyclovir? is that normal and should I be worried that the canker sores are actually herpes. the sores themselves show up on the inside of my bottom lip on either side. they dont last more than a full 24 hrs.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

valacyclovir is an anti-viral drug that treats, among other things, herpes. Canker sores are one result of the herpes virus. However, if you're worried about the side effects of the drug, you could try a natural solution. L-Lysine, which you can find in a health food store, should cure the cold sores. It's better to buy supplements at a health food store rather than a grocery store because those at a health food store are generally better quality.

• Posted

but I have never had a cold sore. that's what is driving me crazy right now.

• Posted

many adults have herpes. in fact, not having herpes of some kind is unusual over the course of a lifetime. some types of herpes are nothing, other types are more significant. there is no "cure" per se. however doc should be able to identify anything serious

• Posted

so I guess I need to have my throat swabbed to see which one I might have.

• Posted

I used to get cold sores on occasion. I took L-Lysine whenever one broke out, and it would go away. Then I stopped getting them. I don't know why, all of a sudden, I started getting cold sores or why they stopped. As I said, it's a virus, so something triggers it. I understand your frustration. There's no rhyme or reason for why you get cold sores. They may be annoying, but they won't hurt you. As I said, I took L-Lysine whenever I had a cold sore. A friend of mine, though, said that she took L-Lysine everyday, and she stopped getting them.

• Posted

if you want to. it may not be needed. doc can usually determine visually

• Posted

not herpes! .canker & cold sores are sometimes thought to be herpes but not . But cold sores are very contagious

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.