Cannot convince GP

Posted , 2 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have had weak ankles for several years, but about a year ago I went over on my Left ankle whilst on holiday in Jordan.  Amazingly there were TWO physiotherapists from UK on hoiday in the same hotel and they agreed there was no break, so between them they strapped it up and I continued with my holiday.  I could hardly hobble and spent  fortune on taxis but thats a side issue.

My sprained ankle has done well and is almost pain free but the other one swelled up and is now so painful I can hardly bear to put weight on it (carrying a bag of shopping on that side is agony).  The ankle with the sprain is not up to much and soon swells too so that I can'r decide which foot hurts least!

My GP says - arthritis, wear sensible flat shoes and take gentle walks.  This is not possible, for the pain.

I've had no xrays, no scans, just anti inflamatories.

Do I have a 'right' to ask for a scan, will the uk NHS supply this or will I have to go privatly?  I can't continue like this with both ankles out of commission.


1 like, 4 replies


4 Replies

  • Posted

    Hello ex dancer,

    I am not sure where you live but where I live in camden in london where we can self refer to a physio. You register your need and then a physio will call you and then discuss whether they can help.

    You do need some more help, your GP sounds like they are trying to keep referrals down. Maybe go in on crutches next time?? Or see someonelse? 

    Is there a sports clinic attached to any hospitals or other GP surgeries near you?

    Have you had a sport or dance physio look at it?

    Flat shoes, theroband exercises and mobilisation would be a start. Some really good mobilisation from a good physio will help until you can get a scan/xray.

     It could be scar tissue making it stiff and then irritated and swollen or some bony issue. i would suggest to ay for at least one good physio session so you can get an honest knowledgeable advice. Try a physio located in a gym or to a sports team or reputable dance school. They will take your concerns more seriously and get you back to activity and help you get a scan or xray.

    I dont know if you have a right to ask for a scan but you can keep trying different avenues. It could take anywhere from 6 - 12 weeks to get a scan, depending where you live. Once you have had an xray a good physio will be able to help you find a cheaper mri scan if you cant wait for nhs.

    Good luck, i hope you get sorted out.



    • Posted

      I was just browsing thru .. My ankel joints have  arthritis they hurt all the time.

      im going to do what u suggested. Thanks for UR great advice. Now I have something to look foreword to ... 


  • Posted

    I hope u improve within a few days. I have arthritis in all my joints. It's important to go to a special shoe store ask UR doc for referal. They will fit u with shoes and arched that will protect UR ankles from constant damage. Keeps me from rolling my ankles when I walk which really wore down the tendons bones & ligaments. Since my ankles have gotten better the pain has subsided. 

    Just thought id toss in my two

    • Posted

      Any two cents are worth listening to, thank you.  I live out in the 'sticks' and although our GPs are excellent in most ways I find they do try to fob you off a bit - as though they get just too many whingers.  I did get myself to a podiatrist who got me some shoes (at great expense) which were frankly unwearable - heavy, clompy soles that I fell over, harsh ankle supports that rubbed me sore etc.  At the moment I'm in some I got at Hotters (not cheap) and am loth to waste my money or any more rubbish.

      Dance therapy is out of the question, I'd have to go to Manchester or Liverpool for that, but we do have the usual array of chiropractors and such - but again, I have to find the cash to pay for them.  I really would like to know if my bones are weak - I'm on a restricted diet for coeliac disease and also taking Omeprazole which is known to denude calcium.  My Mum and aunties all had ossteoporosis.



Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up