Cannot decide anything in this

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had this ingrown toenail for about a month now. I am very depressed by this, also my skin has grown a little above the nail, please suggest me something.

http://m.imgur.com/tQDnrkR

Help me please

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi abhishekr700, it looks like the area has become infected. At this stage, it is best to have this problem taken care of by a professional for example a chiropodist or even better a surgeon. 

Until you see a doctor you might get some relief by having a hot footbath. You can add some regular salt or Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulfate) to the hot water. 

You could also apply an antibiotic cream (Neosporin). 

To prevent a similar problem in the future don't cut your toenails too short and trim them to a more 'rectangular' shape without rounding the edges.  

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your response. I would like to let you know that I am not experiencing any pain while walking or running. Pain occours only when I touch at the place of wound . Also, do you know about the complete nail avulsion ? I have consulted with a sugeon before and he recommended me a complete nail avulsion but due to the lack of time and an upcoming trip, I was unable to go through the surgery. 

I would like to know how much time do I need before I can start with my college again ?

• Posted

Also, I would like to let you know that the nail has become yellow due to the medicine being used by me for dressing. Any idea about that grown flesh ?
    • Posted

Hi again, like I said before it's best to get the advice of a doctor. To me it does not look too bad and maybe you can avoid a complete nail avulsion. 

Toenails take many months to grow back during which time the nailbed is vulnerable to injury and/or infection. 

Your main concern at the moment should be treatment of the ongoing infection.

As a long term treatment (especially if the shape of your nails makes them prone to become ingrown) your doctor might recommend or fit nail braces that can gently lift the nail from the ingrown area. 

• Posted

Agree with danR . An infection going on there.   As to recovery time after toenail avulsion you would be wise to allow at least one week and preferably two.  You may be lucky and have no problems afterwards but better to be safe than sorry. You will have to keep off that foot for 2-3 days and will have to sit with your leg/foot raised.
    • Posted

Well, nobody can stop you from going,that is entirely up to you,but if you want the best result you would be wise to at least keep off the foot for several days. You may have pain and possibly an infection afterwards.
    • Posted

I thought I would undeergo the surgery on friday and have saturday/sunday as holiday and would join back on monday....I am very worried mam. WHat do you say ?
    • Posted

Neither I nor you can foresee what you are going to feel like after your surgery. Saturday and Sunday off may be absolutely fine but the final decision is yours. Bear in mind that you may not be able to get a shoe on that foot if you have pain and swelling afterwards. Good luck,I hope it works out for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.