Cannot get ear to pop?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had this problem for about 2 years, Went to an ent and they said it was just some mucus from an infection i had and that it would clear up. Now its bothering me more, basically when i pop my ears they both pop but then my right ear i can hear it seem to "shut" 1 or 2 seconds after and make 2 little pop sounds

another thing is when i breathe heavy with my jaw fully open it sounds louder in my right ear? 

thanks for any help

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Billy the best thing is to see an audiologist for a hearing test and a tympanogram (which give information on what is happening in your middle ear and eustachian tubes.) This is the place where the popping occurs.
  • Posted

If you let me know if you figure out what's wrong my ear does the similar thing for 6 months now it fluctuates from one year to another depending on how much mucus I can get out

• Posted

Greetings Billy;

While I don't have the ear issue that you are having,  Yet I would probably recommend getting a second opinion from a second/different ENT.

While I have seen a number of different ideas from different web sites and have heard different ideas from different people, sometimes it takes seeing a real professional to get an answer.   

A number of years ago, when i starting my hearing issue by going to bed one night (being fine).  Waking up through the night sweating and with pain in one ear, only to roll over and go back to sleep.  In the morning finding both ears acheing and deaf. 2 months later of daily oral antibiotics, seeing doctors from urgent care, and later my PCP (Primary Care Physician).  I was told I would have to live with the loss of hearing and to move on with my life.  If I would have taken those words as gosple, I would not be the person I am today.

I asked for a referral to an ENT.  Not don't get me wrong, If I wouldn't have gotten a good feeling about the doctor, or seen any results I would have asked for another referral to a different ENT.  Even after the 2nd appointment (I am not a patient man at 59 years old)  I thought to myself, I was willing to get this man a chance, because even after the 1st treatment, I saw some results (very minor but they were results).

On the idea of seeing an audiologist, this could be a good starting point.  Different areas that we live, an audiologist can do great good.  Unfortunately , we only tend to see certain doctors / professionals when there is a problem (quoting the phrase....  If its not broke, don't fix it)  In some cases, seeing one when we are well,  periodically.  Would allow us to get a base line as if getting to know if we are loosing hearing naturally over time, or if there is an actual problem.

Maybe there is a infection or blockage of the estation / eustachian tubes. While I am no doctor nor do I have a  medical background.  Maybe using an anticeptic mouth wash or salt water solution to gargle with could help.  Just an idea to clear a possible problem..

I hope some of these ideas or insight may be able to help you out.

Meanwhile I would look at seeing another doctor / ent to have a second set of eyes to look at the issues you are going through to see if you can get some relief or at the least, some peace of mind..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.