Cannot give infusion due to thickened skin caused by systemic scleroderma what to do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My mother (55) has systemic scleroderma, diagnosed 5 months ago. She is on cyclophosphamide infusion on a monthly basis. Her 3rd infusion is on 9th november. But doctors are unable to find any vein in her body, arm, leg and neck. For a blood test recently, her blood could not be drawn. She has now difficulty in swallowing also. Please suggest what can be done to give her infusion. she needs her medicine. We are very scared. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sildenafil which opens up veins can be taken orally. would this then make the veins usable for her injection s ?.

• Posted

I had to give up infusions after 5 months for the same problem. There are other options available to control lung fibrosis. I have used Mycophenolate Mofetil for 3 years taken orally in liquid form and it has stabilised my lungs. There is also an option to have a porta cath inserted if your Mum wishes to continue with cyclophosphamide infusions. This is a semi permanent way of immediate access to a vein without compromising her delicate skin and veins. It can also stop scarring of veins.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.