Cannot sleep at night

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am now 3 weeks post-op from TKR And I have found it a lot harder than I expected.  I can cope during the day, but just can't sleep at night, or if I do I am awake after 1-2.5 hours.  It is driving me crackers.  A week ago I was very emotional and spent half the night crying but I seem to have got past that bit.

does anyone have any suggestions?

My bend is not great, 2.5 weeks after op. It was 75 degrees.  I do my exercises and feel I push myself but the whole thing is getting me down and at this point I wish I hadn't it done.  Op was on 26th October

liz

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well, it is almost midnight and once again I can't sleep.  Mind you I am not surprised as with no decent sleep at night you have to catch up sometime and I find myself nodding off at various times during the day.  Kept nodding off this evening and don't like to go to bed before 10 but because of this cant sleep now.  Don't know what to do for the best.  What does everyone else do?  I get restless legs as well and even when the pain is under control the restless legs get you down.

i take heart in all the positive comments and think back to three weeks ago.  At this time I was in a recovery ward with staff with you a all times.  Didn't need a catheter which was superb.  I know I have made a lot of progress but beforehand I think I was focusing on all the positive things I heard, not realising that it might well take a while to get there.

when did you all start driving again?  I feel I am a million miles from this.

propped up in bed with three pillows and one of these V-shaped pillows.  Often this is the most comfortable position for me.  Never normally sleep on my back.  Going to read for a little while to see if that sends me off.

it is comforting to know that others are out there going through the same.

goodnight

liz

• Posted

Hi Liz,

I had a partial knee replacement (right knee) on 6 Nov. Was able to go home late afternoon on 9 Nov and so I've only been at home a little over a week. Feel almost identical to you. I'm a bit annoyed in that I was able to research all I wanted about the surgery but there is very little concerning the practicalities of life during rehab. The exercises really depress me as I try and do exactly as Physio's have directed and mostly succeed, and they are getting better, but, I back off when I get pain. Not sure I've got the magic 90 degrees yet - maybe 80, so a real long way to go. What also depresses me is the totally rubbish sleep i'm getting, have to do more reading up on this forum about that as I know I'm not alone. I know exactly how you feel when you say you wish you hadn't done it.

Good luck,

John

• Posted

A LOT of the depression and emotional feelings come  from the meds I finally found out so cry and go with them while you're on the pain meds...I had the same problems and found if I took Aleve PM it really helped me. I started getting 4-5 hours of sleep and am now up to a full 7-8 each night. I'm 10 weeks po tkr. I have had quite a ffew surgeries and have even had my right ankle replaced but NEVER NEVER have I had thi kind of hell before. The only way I can explain to you that it does get better is to tell you that I have scheduled my other knee surgery...ugh I hate the thought of it but that pain is now worse than what I have ppost op in the other so....? Hope some of this helps yu. Stay on this forum and you will know you turned the corner when you start helping others thru bad times on here too !! ;-)
  • Posted

I hope you all don't mind that instead of replying individually, I just do a reply to cover everyone.

woke up feeling good there as I slept for 3 hours 42 minutes.  Totally propped up, but that's ok with me.

thought I had got over the emotional bit but just got an email from my husband saying that he wanted to treat my friend and I to a Spa Day out.  Now this is a lovely idea, but I just couldn't do it at the moment.  Most of the places were too far to travel in a car and there is no way I could enjoy that at all at the present.  Just burst into tears.  Luckily nobody could see me.  Would love a pedicure but just couldn't do that just now.

Well here's to another day.  Good luck everyone.  At least we cheer each other up.  This forum has been an absolute blessing to me.

i think we possibly come from all over the world, but all sharing the same problems.

thank you to you all.

Liz x

• Posted

Hi Liz

I always smile when I read a post of improvement. Glad to see you had a nice sleep.

There is most definitely comfort in knowing others understand.

Here's to better days ahead!

• Posted

Hi Debz

thanks for your kind comments.  I did feel so much better this morning havin at least a few hours sleep.  Makes all the difference.

liz x

• Posted

No, I agree . .a spa day is not what you need at the moment. . .a bit later on it will be very nice!  I started going to the hydrotherapy pool around 6 weeks, I think, and that was quite helpful with the exercises . . Your husband being away obviously doesn't realise how hard this is on you!  I felt quite sorry for my husband. . he just didn't know what to do to help (well, really there is nothing anyone can do!  We just have to get through it ourselves) but it is nice to have someone make you a cup of tea, lod the dishwasher, and take the rubbish out!!!  Hang in there . . a few more weeks and you'll suddenly feel better . . honestly!

• Posted

HI Liz we all know that feeling I was like what the hell have I done !!Everyone said it will be painful full stop !! No one said that the journey is long and very very tough . I am 14 weeks on and to befair a whole lot better . Still have not gone through the night yet I take my meds at night but still wake with and ache somewhere .. My crying has stopped as well .. We all have to have it done or they would not do it !! But just keep going 

I was at 4 week could find a foram so started my feeleing off which were prity low and its grown and grown and seemed to of helped loads of people 

Just keep going it does get better I promise 

• Posted

Hi Liz

gret to hear your positive mail. I am sure your husband will know it's the thought that counts and a rain-check on the spa visit is in order.

Keep those positive thoughts - your life will get better and if you do feel down the forum is there for you.

• Posted

Just wanted to say that yesterday I went to my Physio and he was very pleased with my progress and doesn't want to see me for two weeks.  I am now able to get my knee to a 85 degree angle.  I have to continue with what I am doing and he is sure I will have got to a 90 degree plus angle on my next visit.  I do hope so.  He says that when you get to there it does get easier.  Here's hoping.

Still not sleeping.  Try everything, but tonight has been 2 hours in bed and 1 hour on the sofa.  I give up.  I am going to have some painkillers as this is getting me down.

hope you are all doing well.

Liz. 

• Posted

Was out today and went For a coffee.  Just a bit of a tip, if the seats are wooden, not padded, go somewhere else.  For me it is just too painful to sit and enjoy a drink.  I am 3.5 weeks post-op.
    • Posted

Surprised you were even up to going out. Can't imagine how a wooden chair would. feel. Good that you gave it a try
    • Posted

Think because I'm staying ŵith a friend I felt I had to go out.  Personally I would rather have stayed in.  Everyone seems to think I should be able to do more than I feel up to.  Wooden seats a no-no.  Drank my coffee in a couple of minutes, left it as had to stand up.

my friend seems to think I should be able to do Christmas shopping and family think I should be able to sit in a car for 2-3 hours.  Wish they could walk in my shoes for a day 😠

• Posted

You need to show them this website!  I won't wish a TKR on them, but really, people who expect you to be superwoman need a wake up call The sleeping (or NOT sleeping) is a big problem, and nobody seems to have a cure.  It really drags you down, and saps energy.  All I can say is that eventually, it does go away, and life returns to normal!  It does take rather a long time though, and your friends and relatives are not helping by expecting more of you than is possible for anyone.  Hope they realise how unjust they are being, but if not, please ignore them!!!

• Posted

I've been going out since 3 weeks post op.  I alwaysmake sure that I have a spare plastic bag or scarf with me and put my leg up on the chair opposite or if bench seat sit sideways.  Gives my leg a nice rest.  Coffee shop owner can't really complain as shoes not on the seat (Never have been asked to put leg down)
    • Posted

Thanks Tracy.  Was thinking I definitely need something, but would prefer to stay home for another week, but I've got a Christmas lunch on Thursday and a lunch with friends on Tuesday.  Normally I would be so looking forward to this, but not at the moment.
    • Posted

Liz,

If you don't feel up to it, don't go. It isn't worth a set back to appease friends and family!

I like the suggestion of showing them this forum. People who have not gone through this have NO clue how difficult it can be!

Take care of YOU!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.