Cannot sleep in comfort

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am an 83 year old male and twisted my back 18 months ago. X-rays revealled osteoporosis with a fractured vertabra. I was prescribed, inter alia, a Prolea injection for the condition and morphine patches for the pain. The Prolea gave me such awful side-effects that I refused a second dose and was given an infusion of Alcasta. So far, so good. But I cannot lie down because, if I do, the pain in the small of my back becomes unbearable. I have to sleep sitting up with a soft pillow across the small of my back. For six months or so I slept in a chair but latterly have adopted a similar position in bed using four conventional pillows and a neck pillow [as used on aircraft]. In this position I cannot move and  get out of bed every two hours or so in order to exercise my limbs. I now find that sleeping in this siiting position the pain in my lower back eases but I get a severe pain in my neck. Can anyone advise me on how I might get a comfortable night's sleep? 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you consulted with a physiotherapist with expertise in treating osteoporosis patients?  Hope you can get some relief soon - you need your sleep!
  • Posted

I totally sympathise,i too have the same problen,osteoporosis and fractured vertebrae plus spondyolithesis of a lower vertabrae and suffer with chronic insomnia so like you have a problem trying to find a comfortable position for sleeping.I find i am more comfortable in a half sitting/reclining position but it's not ideal for sleeping,8 months on and i am now getting pain in my neck.I have an appointment in April at the Rheumatology department at my local hospital which will be the first time i've had any consultation since the spontaneous fracture occured,don't know what will be suggested there.Have you seen rheumatologist and if so what did they suggest.I really hope they can sort out your problem as it's bad enough with the back pain without adding sleep deprivation which affects your whole well being and general health.

• Posted

I found a link which I'll post separately, hope it will be approved.  Will private message you as well, but I think the info would be useful to others.

After my last post it occurred to me that an occupational therapist might also be of help to you.  A physiotherapist can advise regarding ways to protect and even strengthen your bakc, but an occupational therapist can help with daily activities - like how you use furniture, including beds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.