Cannot sleep with my partner because of my sleeping anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have insomnia on August 2016. I am prescribed 5 mg of diazepam and 50 mg of quetiapine. However, sometimes, I still have hard time falling asleep with these pills. 

Recently, I have developed this fear, which makes me very sad.   

I am scare and feel lonely (I feel like I am alone facing my "demon"wink when my bf falls asleep. As a result, makes me harder or impossible to fall asleep. He has no problem falling asleep, and he is a mild snorer. I used to be able to handle that. I have no idea what have happen to me. 

This is affecting my (our) life. I miss sleeping with him and we can't afford pay two hotel rooms whenever we travel.

I need help, please.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have been an insomniac for over 20 years so I have tried everything. I had an emotional breakdown and my therapist asked me for one word, to describe how I felt.... FEAR!

How long have you been on your tablets and have you given them time to work.  Have you discussed your 'fear' with your doctor? Go back to your doctor,  you need to sleep, please don't try handle this on you own.

• Posted

Hi there animalfreak,

i was looking for help myself, I came across your thread and like you I have been suffering terrible insomnia,

I’ve gotten into this bad habit now what I call anxiety related insomnia, 

i fear the amount of or lack of sleep I’ll get, I lay there my partners already fallen asleep within minutes whilst I’m tossing and turning for the next 3hrs or more drifting off then as soon as I do I get an adrenaline rush which wakes me up and then process starts over again until hopefully I’ll drift off, the first time I experienced this was back in 2014 whilst going through bad anxiety pre occupied with the beating of my heart, i suffer from GAD so I’m my own worst enemy,eventually this anxiety related insomnia past on its own accord without any help from meds.

this time round its back with vengeance for the past 3 weeks on and off, 

its torture I’ve never felt this bad I can’t function well, I went to my GP who has prescribed me propranolol for my daytime anxiety and Zopiclone for my insomnia which helps a little also I’m going to try some CBT.

i know this isn’t an answer to your problems but like yourself your not alone.

will keep you posted,

all the best,

Simon.

• Posted

Simon, I too fear the lack of sleep I'll get. I sometimes wake up multiple times a night with the same adrenaline rush you're talking about. I can't sleep past 2:30am - 3:00am... no matter how hard I try to stay up late. I wake up and instantly dozens of worries and fearful thoughts pop in my head -- it's like I don't have control over them. Super sucks!

• Posted

I’m sorry to hear your suffering the way you are,

i think we are our own worst enemies and get caught up in a cycle of fear towards our sleeping patterns which in turn fuels our anxieties it’s called learnt behaviour.

Sleep deprivation is used as a form of torture and indeed this is pure hell,

It’s horrible I know, just the thought of sleeping brings on the adrenaline rush for me.

are you on any meds?

are you talking to anyone about this sleeping disorder who can help?

hopefully you could get on some kind of treatment plan CBT/Meds to help with your sleeping pattern.

two tips 1, try not to force yourself to sleep,

2, don’t look at the time.

hopefully we’ll get through this sleeping hell and come out stronger.

let us know how your getting on.

Simon. : )

• Posted

I’m not currently on anything, but I’m hoping my doctor agrees to put me back on escitalopram, I was on that for two years. Then they tried Buspirone and Prozac, both didn’t help and it’s gotten worse. I’ve been struggling for months.

Thank you for the tips! I guess I was constantly checking the time.

It’s nice to hear from people that understand. 

• Posted

Ahh, 

Citalopram I was on them for 4 years for my GAD, 

I came off them as I thought I was doing ok and I was until all my anxiety came back in 2014 and hasn’t improved which I assume is resulting in my insomnia.

Hopefully with CBT and Propranolol will get me back to some kind of normal life again.

• Posted

Sorry for late reply.

hmmmm, that’s a good question, the first time I took Citalopram it worked rather well and I didn’t really notice many sides effects, I took this alongside Diazepam for the first 2 weeks.

The only problem was as my body began to tolerate the medicationI I had to either up the dosage or try another antidepressant.

after 4 years of different dosages I was in a good place so decided to wean myself off and I felt fine for some time.

now the second time I tried them 2 years later OMG I thought I was dying,

i felt terrible not sure why but it was enough for me not to proceed with the course.

this time round I’m having Propanolol for my adrenaline rushes and physical symptoms and CBT for my psychology symptoms, as for a temporary fix for my insomnia I’m on Zopiclone.

But don’t let my experience put you off as we are all different and respond differently to medications.

hope this helps,

Simon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.