Cannot tolerate Naltrexone. What are the alternatives for TSM type approach?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Naltrexone was working perfectly and as desired for 5 days until side effects started and quickly became really bad. Fever and migraines. Whilst I am awaiting tests and advice to see if these symptoms are caused by the Naltrexone or not it appears I may be in the 20% who can't take it which is making me very sad. Has this happened to anyone else and what was the solution (if any?) Did anyone switch brand/ label and found the new one worked out fine? Or has anyone switched from Naltrexone (due to intolerance) to Nalmefene or something else? I am loathe to have any kind of injection or insertion. Many thanks.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Try other craving reductives or opiate blocker meds acamprosate, and tiapride. Are you experiencing the side effects of naltrexone ? If so your body can adjust over time. are you under a doctors care which may help with the anxiety your experiencing. just waiting one hour before your next drink after taking naltrexone will help teach your opiate receptors that you can stop after a few drinks because naltrexone slams the door on opiate receptors that cannot get thru to the rest of your brain to block signals to crave more alcohol.

Addiction is giving up everything for one thing. Recovery is giving up one thing for everything.

There is a complete lack of understanding of AUD. It will help if you have assistance with a friend , counsellor , or doctor who understands this treatment. Don't give up your treatment, your holding the key that you can have a life of sobriety. Its just a few more weeks and you will have a totally a different mind frame when triggers for alcohol are no longer effecting your life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.