Cannot walk with Aircast SP Walker boot

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had ankle surgery 23 days ago. The surgeon tightened 2 peroneal tendons and also put a suture on my ATF ligament. 2 days ago, the surgeon removed the stitches and put the Aircast SP Walker boot on my foot. He told me that I could walk without crutches, as long as I had the boot.

This morning, I walked very slowly without the crutches and every time I put weight on foot, the upper part of the peroneal tendon was painful.

I called the surgeon because I didn't want to take a risk, and I told him what happened. He told me to use the crutches now, I see him in 12 days.

1 week after surgery, my knee missed a bench and was going down, I pulled my knee on the bench without touching the floor, I yelled from pain on my ankle, I hope this didn't damage something.

I read other threads here and people walk much later than 3 weeks after surgery, but they often have metal in the ankle, I don't have metal in the ankle.

I am getting worried because I couldn't walk like the surgeon expected. Or is the surgeon wrong to ask me to walk with the boot only 3 weeks after surgery? Initially, he said 4 weeks, but he said that my ankle wasn't swelling so it healed well.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I believe when they say walk, they don't expect you to walk like normal. It takes time to gain the confidence to even start trying to weight bare. Do it slowly, in your own time and way. Don't push it because you think it's expected. your brain needs to re-connect with the ankle. I used ALL types of aids and still sit in my wheelchair to do my hair and makeup.

• Posted

Give it more time. I cut a tendon in my ginger years. It bent, so I put it in a brace. Doc said I needed surgery if it didn't stay straight, after 6 weeks. It didn't, so I left it in the splint for 8 weeks. It worked. Haste makes waste. I'm sure you have heard that saying before. All the best. "Patience Grasshopper".

• Posted

Sorry about the typo. It won't let me go back to correct. The tendon I cut was in my middle finger.

Warm Regards,

Viki

• Posted

What does ginger years mean? Sorry, I live in USA only since 10 years. I never heard "Haste makes waste", I'm from France. I was fearing the worse, but I have to be patient. Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.