Cannot work at the moment

Posted , 4 users are following.

I cannot work at the moment because of my depression. I sometimes feel like a failure because of this but then I have to remind myself that I have been at my job in a school for just over 14 years and this year is just a blip in my life. I have always worked since leaving college in 2001 so I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself but it can be hard and then you get some people saying 'why aren't you working?'

My family and friends have been so supportive and so has my gp.

Can anyone else not work because of depression? My Mum and Sister said I could go on ESA until I get myself sorted. I'm in between finding the right antidepressant for me. I'm on Mirtazapine at the moment.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue

I can understand ur frustration and emotional rollercoaster.life an get quiet difficult to grasp sometimes when all u want do is crawl into a small box and be alone that's hw I feel sumtyms.im not a professional but I did have a depression bout a few years ago when I was at work and suddenly considered anything work related was the last of my thoughts my sales dropped I have irate customers I went it some depression over my personal life issues and was always asking myself why? I lost weight I took meds for migranes and anxiety then 1 day I realised it's my mind that controls my thoughts and what I think I Do so if I had to rechannel my level of thought to happy and productively speaking to positive people all started to help me bring me back to the girl I was always smiling which is what all of us shud try because remember no matter Wat happens in ur life gud or bad God has got you and he will never let go smile and say yay I have life and nothing and no1 cab steal that from me ......that's how I tried to quonquer my fears my sadness my troubles in the end IT shud make u stronger as a person to just enjoy life life free and always lend a helping hand.

Sorry I got carried away with the above but hope it helps in some way.........xoxo

• Posted

Thanks for your message Aur

It's always good to know that there are people who can relate. I think I've ha depression since 1992 but only started taking anti depressants in avout 2007. A CBT therapist I saw thinks I have reactive depression. I was put on Sertraline in2007 and once I got the he right dose for me it was brilliant (it's called the sunshine drug). I was my own happy confident outgoing self again but then when I came back from Rome at the end of last August I got seriously physically ill and the Sertraline just seemed to stop working. My gp thought that because I was so ill the Sertraline lost its effect so since then I've tried Fluoxetine, Citalopram (which worked for a bit) and now Mirtazapine but I think I'll be coming off it soon because of the extreme drowsiness and sickly feeling the next day.

Are you on any antidepressants Aur?

• Posted

I have tried lexamil which made me I'll and nauseous then I had a doc give me cyngen which also made me weak and just feeling unwell I then decided to stop these as I'm killing my own abilities to fight all this in my mind.keep busy helps a lot and can naturally enhance ur mood u have to find the root of ur depression then think at it for a few min then think of a way to combat it ur self we are strong but we don't ourselves much credit you know. The World is our oyster .

From now on I have been trying to think positive and create hope for myself I give advise to help others in a good way an it helps me to asbi don't feel that sinking feeling depression can be fought without meds and more will power and the though of never giving up helps.i am a Christian and whenever I feel down I pray hard for God to direct me and use me to help others because in the end God will always catch u wen u fall so don't be afraid of Wat lays ahead he knows it b4 u even get there trust him ????

• Posted

I also have not been working for 2 years due to depression and I know how you feel.  I am also trying for the Federal support that the US offers and it is such a project!

Its taken 2 years and they still haven't approved me...I'm 52...worked my whole life like you and feel like a failure.

Just want a little break...to pull myself together...your not alone and YES..it is bad when people ask us and we say "depression" we feel weak...and like drama queens.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.