CANT DECREASE BELOW 10 MG NEED ADVICE

Posted , 18 users are following.

HELLO:

I NEED SOME ADVICE. I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH PMR IN OCT 2017. I STARTED ON 20MG OF PREDNISONE IT WAS A MIRACLE.. I WAS ABLE TO REDUCE TO 10 MG OVER A 10 MONTH PERIOD WITH SOME DISCOMFORT, HOWEVER , I WAS ABLE TO FUNCTION AT 10 MG.

I AM 58 AND HAVE OSTEOPOROSIS ( WHICH I HAD PRIOR TO THE PRED AND HAS SINCE GOTTEN WORSE AND HAVE STARTED MONTHLY ACTINEL).

I RECENTLY MANAGED TO GET DOWN TO 8 MG WITH A SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN DISCOMFORT. I AM NOW AT THE SAME POINT IN PAIN AS I WAS WHEN I STARTED.

I TRIED 9 MG AND TODAY 10MG BUT STILL AWFUL PAIN.

WILL CALL DR, HOWEVER SHE IS GUNG HO ON ME GETTING OFF PRED DUE TO OSTEOPOROSIS, AND ALL THE OTHER PHYSICAL SIDE EFFECTS . SHE RECOMMENDED ACTEMRA, BUT I HAVE HAD A RARE LYMPHOMA 8 YEARS AGO AND AM AFRAID TO PUT MYSELF IN ANY POSITION THAT MY CAUSE ME TO REVISIT THAT AWFUL DIAGNOSIS.

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS? SHOULD I KEEP INCREASING THE PRED UNTIL I FIND RELIEF. IT WAS SO HARD TO GET TO THIS POINT. I HATE TO GO BACK UP!

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HI Helene,

I know how you feel....I fell sick in Oct 2017 as well and was diagnosed in Dec and put on 10mg to start which wasn't enough ans was increased to 15 mg. Everytime I get down to 7 mg Ifeel terrible and have to increase! It seems that each time this happend I feel worse and worse....I feel for you! My Rheumatologis always tells me to go back to the dose where you felt good and try again. It does feel like an endless battle....

• Posted

That is your body telling you that 7mg (or 8mg) is the lowest dose that will manage the inflammation AT THE PRESENT - it doesn't mean you won't get lower, just not yet. Stick at the lowest dose you feel OK at for a few months and then try again. A study found it takes an average of 18 months to get to 5mg - you still have another 6 months and, since quite a few get there sooner, there are also quite a few who take longer!

At 7mg there is also the added problem of returning adrenal function - so the smallest step you can manage and using the slow approach we go on about a lot will help the change not feel so awful:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/reducing-pred-dead-slow-and-nearly-stop-method-531439

• Posted

I understand I start to feel better so like you, I did the same thing,

but it's a boomerang effect. I hate how hungry I am, and now I am

back to Square one. Listen to your MD, and try to keep a journal

to see what exacerbates the extra discomfort. for me it's stress and cold.

• Posted

Cutting your carb intake, especially white and processed carbs, often helps the hunger problem. It reduces the swings of blood sugar which trigger release of insulin and a sudden fall in BS level - which is what causes the craving hunger pangs. It also reduces the risk of developing steroid-induced diabetes and weight gain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.