cant let go of the past...Talking makes it worse

Posted , 4 users are following.

for 14 years I have not been able to let go of the things that my dad did to me when I was about 5. I have tried to talk about it, it does not help me. Every time I get comfortable enough to talk about it I feel my self shutting people I know want to help me out...I don't understand what I need to do talking about it here lately seems to make me feel worse than what I already do It makes me angry and many times I find myself thinking of ways to hurt him and other days I just want to cut a little deeper...Where do I turn in times like this I take my frustrations out on people who care like my mother and my counselor...I don't know how much longer I can live like this, and it hurts worse when I think about how I let it happen to my sister, it makes me feel sick to my stomach to know that the same man that hurt me and my sister is still out there  hurting other children....Can someone help me....please....My sister is the only think keeping me from giving up completely...

3 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

If you father is out there abusing other children, then you need to tell the police.
  • Posted

First up this is not your fault.  What this man did to you is his fault!  You had no control at 5 year old to do anything nor is it your fault he has done it to others.  The main thing is to deal with it by contacting the police and telling them what he did in order to stop him from doing this to others.

Secondly you need to get some help for yourself and your sister.  Visit your GP and get a referral.  Many talking therapies help but they also provide coping strategies to help you get through day by day.  I am a big believer in the saying you can take the past with you and let it destroy your future or you can deal with the past, file it in the bin and live a happy life.  Start by doing the day by day coping and getting through a day at a time.

Remember there is help so use it and start to look forward.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.