Cant make decision between Surgery or Radiation

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi! 68 years old, just diagnosed with prostate Cancer. Thankfully localized however 7 positive cores, Gleason 7 in 6 and Gleason 6 in only 1. Psa 9.6. Seems results are the same with either radiation or Surgery and can't understand how to make this decision as doctors are telling me all present with same odds. 2 biggest things on my mind is 1) why surgery if results are the same as radiation and 2) with radiation, I am frightened of having to look over my shoulder for 2 years, watching PSA potentially bounce up and down and not know if cancer really gone. And if unsuccessful, there's no surgery as an option after that. Please help!

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I understand your position and frustration choosing between surgery and radiation. I can only tell of my own experience. I opted for Proton Radiation and have excellant results. My PSA was 7.9 when I started the proceedure a little over two years ago. It is now .3 and has dropped consistanty since the proceedure. Please also be aware even with surgery there is no guarantee that the problem will be totally gone. I would estimate about 10% of my fellow patients had surgery and still had to undergo radiation with the return of cancer. In the attempt to limit repercussions some tissue may be left.

​I chose radiation due to what I felt would be best for the least amount of problems. This has been the case. I have experienced little to no problems with anything.

• Posted

I am 62 years old PSA 9.1 and had my prostate removed on Sept 21. I tested positive in 6 samples Gleason 6 which was later upgraded to 8 and my surgeon recommended the surgery. I was told that if I tried radiation and it did not work, the surgery would be much harder to do.
  • Posted

Hello Jerald.Read your post with interest.Different advice coming from all sources,i have been there,done it.This is the greatest dilemma for men with PCa.I am 58 years old and recently i have had a prostatectomy (removal of the prostate gland).My PSA at time of removal was 13.7. Gleason 3+3.I thought long and hard about the options.In the end i decided to have surgery,mainly due to my age.Once its out its out.The problem i see with Radiation treatment is you want know for some time if the treatment as been a success.If i was in my mid 70s i would opt for Radiation.But your only 68.We all know about the side effects of both treatments,Erectile disfunction,and incontinence.It is now 4 months since my operation,no longer wearing incontinence pads.And with the erection problems this can take a lot longer,but with time and medication this too should subside.Good luck
    • Posted

I am 50 and recently had robotic surgery, given I had a Gleason 9. I agree with your comments on the reasons for surgery, the consequence of incontince and other side effects.

But you forgot to add that bowel damage is a known possible consequences of radiation.

• Posted

Hello Barney.When did you have operation.Are you wearing incontinence pads.Derek 
    • Posted

RARP took place mid August. since then I was on heavy duty pads, 3 per day for a while, then on medium pads.

Over time I managed with 2 pads a day and even slept with a pad.

And soon after on 1 pad for a month or so.

I did kegel exercises twice pre op but never post op as I felt they were a load of hooey. A week ago, just before the 4 month anniversary of surgery I stopped wearing pads altogether. 

In in a week only twice did I leak, but even then it was minimal.

I am very much elated about this.

Of course at the begining of the pad wearing I made the mistake, that most men make, where in order to limit any leaking during the time of pad wearing I minimised my intake of fluids.

Big mistake to cheat the kidneys of fluid just to stay dry.

I now drink at will and living in Australia where it is summer, I can honestly say I am drinking as much as I ever did in the hot weather and so far, 4 days of no pads and no leaks.

I wish you the same good luck.

• Posted

Barney: I too live in Australia, and I too had Robot-Assisted surgery, but some nine months ago. I had almost no leakage from the get-go, and moved to Tena brand shields (Chemist Warehouse) as insurance against leakage when drinking red wine. Only red wine seems to stimulate my bladder to want to pee for about half an hour.

I don't wear one at all now, and I don't restrict fluid intake.

Stewart

• Posted

Good to hear from you Stewart. I too wore Tena, also from Chemist Warehouse.

And good to hear you don't (and didn't) restrict fluid intake.

Interesting that red wine stimulates your bladder. I can't say if red wine would be a problem for me because I am off alcohol given I have another medical matter which is aggravated by alcohol.

Sudden moves and occassional coughing make me leak. But such small amounts, I would only consider pads (for an emergency) if I travelled away from home for say a holiday.

• Posted

Hi I'm 67 had prostactomy 12 months ago I hadpsa 14.8

gleason 8 .fit for age hobby scuba .post opp Gleason 9 .

my last 5 pas tests 0.05 all the same I had clear margins my cancer was in both lobes contained .my dad had prostate cancer then died of bowel cancer. It was bad seeing his steady decline I was with I'm as he passed 

that's why I chose the opp. I am now almost back to normal

were the thinnest pads just in case .feel I could dispense with them

mine was a non nerve sparing opp yet I still have slight erection 

hope yours goes as well as mine 

best regards

• Posted

I was 57 G/S 8, PSA 9.7 and went with IMRT. I have no regrets - no incontinence but slight loss of libido/ED which will be helped chemically. I didn't want to trust the variables involved with surgery. Each to their own. 

• Posted

I don't profess to be an expert on the subject, but here's my experience:

In 2009 my biopsy and Gleason score results were almost identical to yours.  The risk of recurrence was the same regardless of whether I went with surgery or external beam radiation therapy.  I went with radiation for two reasons (1) the side effects were listed as lower probability with EBRT, and (2) I had an MRI which showed cancer cells on the edge of the prostate, so it was possible to radiate that area to kill off those cancer cells.  I am now 67, and seven years out of my original treatment more cancer showed up in my prostate.  On the 13th of this month I underwent a Salvage Robotic Radical Prostatectomy, and all seems very positive at the moment.  In salvage surgery there is little that can be done with regard to nerve sparing, but there are some very helpful solutions for ED.  My incontinence seems consistent with those who have undergone a normal RP as my surgeon was able to avoid any damage to my spicther muscles.  So far I feel good about things, and my surgeon feels that I should be cancer free (subsequent testing will confirm or deny this belief).

There is no right or wrong answer, you need to do what you are most comfortable with.  Two things to consider is (1) EBRT is not a dead end if cancer reoccurs, and (2) Men who have had RP surgery also have a risk of recurrence. 

Hopefully some some of this will be helpful to you as you navigate this confusing plethora of options we all find ourselves constantly evaluating.  Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Jerald,

I agree with Rick. But Understand that every treatment comes with certain risks. The main risk of radiation is that it may give you bowel problems as parts of the bowel and rectum may inadvertently by radiated. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.