Cant relax or sleep without waking up scared im going to die.hospital had to stop my heart

Posted , 6 users are following.

My heart beat was 251 . They had to stop my heart and start it back ip to correct rythm. I just got out of hospital after 3 days there is no blockage but electrical issue i have to see a special cardiologist next week. We may have to go in and burn something in the heart thats creating this problem.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elisa,

I understand that you are scared. Because of SVT, I have turned into a hypochondriac and it's driving me insane. I'm constantly thinking something is wrong. What I've learned from being in this group though is that even though it's scary, it's not gonna kill you. Well not the SVT alone. I thought mine was bad at 204 wow. When mine start I take a Xanax so that I won't panic and try to get it to stop . The more you panic the higher it will get. Then you have panic and SVT attacks at once. What you are referring to is a heart ablation. I had one myself. It's scary knowing that you're having surgery but I promise it's not bad. You will be able to go home the same day. I know it's hard but try to find a way to relax even if that means taking anxiety meds. Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Hi Elisa. Sorry you're having this trouble.

First of all, although its scary having an SVT episode, be reassured it will not cause a heart attack or kill you in some other way. One quite common thing among SVT folk here is that we have otherwise healthy hearts so, unless you are an exceptionally rare SVT sufferer, the treatment and advice you get is all about quality of life rather than survival.

It will take a while to come to terms with having SVT, but it is a condition that can be managed quite well with avoidance techniques and meds or, if your Cardio decides you are suitable, eliminated altogether with an ablation (I was cured by one 5 years ago).

I think it might be an idea to go to your GP soon to talk about the understandable anxiety you're having about SVT. 

Have you been put on any meds yet?

• Posted

The other respondents have written excellent advice, Elisa.  I'd like to reinforce the "normalcy" of your response to SVT.  Many, and I think most, are terrified at first by SVT.  I certainly was.  Please take advantage of any available help from health care people for your physical and emotional struggles. You are not alone, and you may well eventually be "cured".  We all wish you well. 

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear your having a difficult time. All the advice on hwreck had really helped me as well. I am also fairly new to Svt. Since July 2016. I ended up in hospital so many times confused about what was happening to me. I learned it was Svt but that I was also having extreme anxiety attacks because of it. The doctors ran all kinds of tests. I was extremely healthy but I didn't feel that way. My life turned upside down until I came to terms with it. I realized I was Not going ro die from this...It's just very scary when it happens. I did not have ablation surgery. I guess I'm mot ready maybe a bit traumatized right now feom everything I've been through, however I do take a beta blocker every morning and my heart is fine now. I was left with dealing with anxiety attacks. I went to cognitive behavioural therapy to change how I think, I try to eliminate stress, and I talk myself down from the panic. I hope my experience can help you in some way. I still get nervous from time to time when someone suggests travelling, but everyday I take baby steps to leave my house, to stay home alone, and as silly as that seems it's huge for me. Don't let this hold you bavk from living life. If your dr. Says your heart is healthy, then it's just a matter of deciding how to fix the svt. A lot of the difficulty is just understanding svt, change your thinking, know your not going to die, just don't panic and breathe. And most of all don't stop living your life. I wish you all the best....keep us posted 😊

• Posted

I was admitted to hospital 4th feb with a heartbeat of 197, they stopped and started my heart 3 times but had to slow it down with adenisone.  I was put on Bisoprolol 1.25 and am just getting used to it though it seems to affect my breathing,it feels like cotton wool in my lungs. I,m waiting for Barts hospital to send me an appointment to look into having an ablation.  I,ve had svt for a long while but was confused and frightened by the attacks, i went to hospital a couple of times but it had slowed down by the time i got there, this serious attack brought it to light.  I,ve had palpitations for 42 years that i know about, its like people can,t see it and don,t understand how it affects your life,i actually felt a fraud a lot of the time and thought it was my fault because i am an anxious person.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.