Cant seem to understand what I can do if anything to manage my symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been told by a therapist that I'm 'mildly' bipolar which made me feel good I guess. I'm on Seroquel but I recently had the idea that I should button myself up so to speak, that is not allow myself to become enthusiastic or excited even in a good way around people. But turning myself into a stick in the mud doesnt seem the answer even if I could achieve that.

I enjoy expressing myself but I'm afraid of my natural spontaneity since it seems like it's a highway to bipolar acting out. The other day I was at a huge luncheon and felt bipolar immediately upon sitting down. I was very uncomfortable with my location and bored and needed to change my seat to sit with people I liked to be around more. But the degree of discomfort I felt seemed about ten times more than a normal person would feel. And I was anxious for myself because of how I was feeling, thinking that these bipolar symptoms were never going to go away, and feeling inferior to just about everybody else there who wasnt squirming in their seat the way I was.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello diane98246,

Hope you're well. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It seems to me that you do have a very 'mild' element of Bipolar Disorder. I would like to share my advice on this.

Bipolar Disorder is a very stubborn, persistent disorder. It takes months if not years to get 'cured' of it, if that's possible. However, the good part is that people continue living their lives and reach their personal and professional goals very comfortably as long as the disorder is managed. It could be managed by the right medication or via any form of psychological therapy.

In your case, it seems to me that your bipolar disorder is well managed via both, medication and psychotherapy. The reason to believe this is that you are demonstrating a level of insight in to your own mood/affect and you are also in control of your actions during moments of high stimuli in the external environment.

I would encourage you to not doubt yourself, but use this insight to understand yourself further, understand what your personal and professional goals in life are. In the meantime, continue your medical and psychological treatment. I see no reason why you wouldn't get even better with time.

Wish you best.

Regards.

• Posted

Hi Manun and thank you for your reply. I am all too aware of the stubborn and persistent nature of bipolarism. For a long time I was telling myself everytime I had an episode of being overbearing that this was the ‘last one’, which attitude ended me up feeling pretty hopeless because it was never the last one.

I’m retired so have the pleasure of ordering my days my own way.

I continue to have to work very hard at managing myself during high stimuli moments such as a very very noisy house van with people who insist on shouting in that tiny space. It gets me very upset inside and is a time when I’ve acted out my frustration in the past.

Thanx again Manun.

• Posted

Hi, Diane.

I, am sorry to hear you are feeling like this. (I, am also, Bipolar). You don't say how long you have been on the new medication. But it can take time to get in to your system. And, of course there is also the possibility that it is not the right medication for you. Sometimes it can take time to find the right one for you. Make sure you are in regular contact with your therapist and talk through your feelings.

You could be going through a manic episode. Do as much research as you can as this is a new diagnoses for you. I hope you have supportive family and/or friends. You can educate them as well.

• Posted

Hello 2357 and thank you for replying to my post. I am hoping this thread will liven up a bit and become more active.

The Seroquel is not really new for me I have been on a low dose of 25 mg. for years but have recently gone to 50 mg. Before that I had tried 100 mg but it gave me tendonitis.So I’m on 50 mg. at the moment and will be seeing the psychiatrist this week.

50 mg. causes me to have slight pain in my back, my ankles and my neck but on the other hand that dose helps me sleep very well and sleep has been a problem for me my entire adult life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.