cant sleep in any position back on back or severe pain Dx with pmr anyone else?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Dx with PMR can only sleep on back no movement or severe pain in hips. Anyone else experience this?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

yes still sleeping in my recliner since June tried my tempurpedic adjustable bed but hurts to many pressure point areas such as left arm and shoulder, neck and right hip

• Posted

Glad to know im not alone. I really dont have pain in day only trying to sleep. I cant take prednisone as i have severe osteoporsis. I am on celebrex. Do you have common symptoms as i seem to be very unusual lol.

• Posted

i was like this earlier this year. pain in both hips and shoulders so sleeping very difficult. i too have oestoperosis but the only way to get rid of the pain and give me quality of life currently is the steriods, I'm only 52 so will deal with OS later although when I'm feeling ok it is easy to forget and do stuff that is silly! recently hurt my back putting a baby seat in my car. It was a reminder that i do need to be careful. I'm on 14mg again having been right up to 25 but working my way back down and thats just how it rolls. I hope you find something to give you comfort soon. x

• Posted

A few more details would help - are you being treated and on pred? If so, at what dose and for how long? If not, why not?

Hip pain that stopped me sleeping comfortably on my side was due to trochanteric bursitis. It makes the outer aspect of the thigh tender, especially if you try to lie on it, and can spread to the iliopsoas bursa which will cause pain deep in the groin. Mine resolved slowly over several months when I started on pred, but only at 15mg. Had the dose been higher it might have gone quicker. It returns to some extent when I have a flare. However, oral pred isn't ideal for managing bursitis, local injections will usually achieve a better and more lasting result. There are exercises to reduce the impact of trochanteric bursitis but it is also a part of PMR and if that is active it will feed the bursitis and exercise may make it worse.

Having osteoporosis isn't a contraindication for pred - there are other ways of managing the osteoporosis that mean steroids can be used. Celebrex won't help PMR for the vast majority of patients, no NSAIDs do, and have severe implications for your stomach, as they can cause bleeding. That means doctors prescribe a PPI such as omeprazole as "stomach protection" but these drugs are also implicated in causing low bone density, just as much as pred. Celebrex also has bad effects on the heart and risk of stroke - and if the inflammation of PMR is not controlled that will add to the damage done to the cardiovascular system. Inadequately treated PMR is also more likely to progress to giant cell arteritis - and without high dose pred that puts your sight at risk.

I think you should ask your doctor to discuss the use of Celebrex long term. PMR lasts quite a while and I find the idea of the chronic use of Celebrex in PMR very worrying. I'm assuming you are in the USA? There are quite a few people using Actemra for PMR - and that should be considered for you if you really can't use steroids because of osteoporosis - but that hasn't stopped a lot of other people using them together with appropriate bone-protection drugs to reduce that aspect of pred. It isn't as bad as it may appear - my bone density had barely changed in over 7 years on pred and I didn't take any drugs for that except calcium and vit D supplements.

• Posted

Hi Eileen

Such great information. You described my pain when sleeping exactly as I experience. It seems GP and Rheumatologist arent 100% sure i have PMR. Year ago back pain started slowly then limping started. I had been doing heavy yard work. Had MRI found L1 fracture and discs bulging. GP said that was my issue. Slowly all joints stiff back spasams . Im in Canada tested my CRP for inflammation only slightly elevated 14.5 normal 4.5 or below. Bone density showed extremly advanced OP. Put on prednisone 10 days improved but not much. GP felt if PMR should of helped more. Put me on Celebrex 200 mg 1x daily. Same results as prednisone. Seen rheumatologist who stated PMR but felt it was going into remission. He said couldnt be certain as my CRP levels dropped to normal after approx 4 months. I go to physio work fulltime in health care walk approx 8 km a day. I have no fatigue but do get very stiff hips, stairs or climbing on hikes is painful. Upper body is almost back to normal. I have extremly tight lumbar muscles, lots and lots of stretching helps. I feel I have PMR but wonder if maybe this is all due to back injury.

• Posted

I'd say that CRP was pretty elevated!

Fewer than 1 in 10 get relief from pred in a week, half don't get full relief in a month. And anyway, you have to have a high enough dose for it to work - and 15mg is frequently not enough. It sounds like a mix - and that is very common. But doctors get fixated on one thing. Blinkers ...

• Posted

Interesting... my gp retired so i have new young replacement. I may get better results with fresh set of eyes and ears. Thanks fir your information!

• Posted

Sharlane, Have you tried a really soft mattress?

I have been sleeping on a bed in my house, that I had always avoided, because the mattress was too soft, (two people can't sleep together). But since PMR, I have been sleeping like a baby on a cloud.

• Posted

Hi Patricia

Wish i had that option. Only one bed but soft couch produces same pain.

Glad your soft bed works for you!

• Posted

Me too. I've always been a side sleeper and when sleeping that way began causing problems I gradually evolved to the recliner. After a while I moved back to the bed, on my back, but with pillows under my lower legs to ease the strain on the back. It helps. One problem with this was-reactivation of GERD. Managing it too evolved into nothing to eat after 7pm and maybe even a slug of antacid before bedtime.

I really look forward to eventually returning to my side however.

• Posted

Oh yes to sleep on my side would be heaven. To curl up on the couch like a regular person ... such little things to look forward to.

• Posted

sharlene, at one point I could only sleep in a recliner. It was not good, but was unable to sleep in a bed at all. It passed as my PMR got under control with Prednisone. Good luck on the rest of your PMR journey. 🙂

• Posted

Thanks seems prednisone is the answer. Doctor and Rheumatologist strongly advise me not to take due to severly advanced OP and recent fracture. Keep well .

• Posted

Yes. Eventually physiotherapy helped and I can sleep on my side again, as long as upper leg propped up with pillow!

• Posted

Oh yes, this was after prednisone sorted the PMR. The hip pain was an add-on!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.