Capability for work form

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi. I'm on the alcohol and anxiety sites. Been advised to go on this site now regarding benefits.

Sorry in advance if you get tired of repeating the same stuff..

So I've been sent a form from job centre,10 pages, capability for work. Been on ESA now for 3 years for breakdown., depression and alcoholism. Though I go weeks and months not drinking. I worked full time for 30 years before all this happened. 

My question. Do I admit I still suffer with alcohol binges or not? I don't want to lose my benefit and I'm not capable of working still. I still suffer with depression and chronic fatigue, though the latter hasn't been diagnosed.

Any advice appreciated and should I go through citizens advice bureau ?

0 likes, 4 replies


4 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi PF

    The DWP has probably sent you an ESA50 form which is commonly known as a Work Capability Assessment. It works on a points system and you will have to answer questions on the descriptors and if you score enough points you will be placed in either the Work Related Activity Group or the Support Group. Fail to score enough and you will have to claim Job Seekers Allowance/Universal Credit.

    I'm only guessing but I would suppose that your drinking binges are part of the bigger picture your severe depression. If this is the case then it is vital you explain your drinking lapses as they would be credible reasons why you are incapable of work.

    Of course this all relies on matching your disability to the WCA descriptors and scoring enough points. You can find the descriptors/points awarded easily via a Google search. Find them and see which ones apply to you. All most certainly you will be looking at mental health related descriptors which are under

    Part 2: Mental, cognitive and intellectual function assessment

    The ones which apply to you should be obvious as an alcoholic would be unaware of hazards and could act inappropriately to other work colleagues.

  • Posted

    Hello there,

    i would definatley tell them you stil lhave alchohol binges on occassions. As it all part of your dissability and depression.

    Are you seeing a support worker or counsellor if not than your dr should have arranged this anyway. Thsi will also help you. 

    It always good if and when you go to have a friend or family member with you for that extra support. These would be people who give you that extra help when your needing help.

    My son also has had chronic alchohol and depression and he is on esa until further notice from them. he now gets support doesnt always drink every day plus they are finding him activities to help his depression. he would also like to get back into work but is so worried he will not be accepted and of his capabilities,

    He also doesnt like talking about his problems to strangers either so makes matters hard for him.

    take care now

  • Posted

    Hi. Thank you so much for your replies. Sorry it's a few days later but not been well again. I haven't started filling in my form yet but this has really helped me when I do. Hate filling forms in !!! Will keep you posted on the outcome x
    • Posted

      You are very welcome,

      By the way does the dr know of your situation and you can ask them for some form of documentation of your conditions over the years it wont cost you anything.

      But you can keep a copy for yourself and send them  copy this will also help your situation.

      Hope you are soon feeling better take care now


Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up