Capability hearing due to my illness

Posted , 4 users are following.

😭😭I’m attending a hearing 2moro at work as my probation is over, it should be a probation review however my invitation states it’s a capability and fitness to work review. I was first diagnosed in June with bilateral pulmonary emboli but on Monday 10th September I was admitted to hospital with a brand new set of PE’s (great eh) but I discharged myself and worked my final probation days! But now I’m hearing from staff colleagues that I will be dismissed as I have failed probation due to absence!!!! I actually don’t know what to do! My hearing is tomorrow morning at 10am! 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jenny , was there any issues raised at interview or during probation about the pe’s ?? Were you asked to disclose them and did you during application ?  I am guessing you are on some blood thinning medication? If this is a totally fresh flare up with no indications I would imagine work would have to treat it as a new issue and they would have to cater for it to some degree , depends on how harsh the hr system for Illness is during probation but I would say appealing an overly harsh decision should be a recourse if they are over the Top.

All the best 

James 

• Posted

Thanks for replying james I began my career in April and was diagnosed in June so I didn’t have this condition until 2 months after starting my new job! Yeah we had regular meetings about my health And the support I had was fantastic but we are now under new management and things have been very different. New staff and management are aware of my condition and have offered help but I was again diagnosed last Monday with more clots, through major struggle and will power I went to work and completed my probation period and as I was leaving work I was handed a letter which was my formal invitation for a hearing! 
  • Posted

Jenny, are you taking an anticoagulant as they are supposed to stop the blood clots from forming.

Loads of good luck for tomorrow, I thought this would just be a formality after your last post.

• Posted

Aw Jen I’ve had a hell of a time! Second dose of clots diagnosed last Monday and now this disciplinary which I was told wouldn’t happen as they understood my illness and circumstances  but were under new management and I literally only found out about the hearing on Friday as I was leaving for work!! I did say to my manager that I was informed that a hearing wasn’t happening and her exact reply was ‘but your not capable of fulfilling your full role because your sick......good luck for monday’ so now I’m literally pacing floors, crying, having temper tantrums and heart palpitations!! Yeah Jen I was prescribed apixaban 5mg two tablets twice a day x
  • Posted

Hi Jenny, I was wondering how everything went. I hope everything is ok.
    • Posted

How nice of you to remember. Unfortunately I was Dismissed as they said I wasn’t capable of doing my job. I’m not Eligible for any benefits either. As you can imagine I’m really depressed hence why I’ve not been active on the forum 
    • Posted

I am really sorry to hear that, it seems so unfair. Have you contacted citizens advice for help?
    • Posted

Yeah they said I can apply for personal independence payment but the department for work and pensions said my condition isn’t severe enough to claim for any benefits. 
    • Posted

Really sorry to hear that Jenny, I did suspect it as you did not come back on the night. I hope you can clear the clots, then look for a job in the same field and fulfill you ambition. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.