Capsular release

Posted , 7 users are following.

i had a capsular release in January and my shoulder froze back up. Now the dr wants to do it again because I'm in excruciating pain. Has anyone had this done twice. I'm nervous it won't work again.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I was offered to have an MUA repeated because first time around it wasn't very successful. I chose not to and just to carry on with Physio. Reasons being there were no guarantees and my pain had reduced slightly with no zingers. Couldn't stand going back to post surgery phase!

If you're in a lot of pain it may be worth considering but it will heal on its own eventually!

Hard decision to make as you want it all to go away overnight which it won't with or without surgery!

• Posted

I don't know about MUA but just wondering whether you have access to hydro dilation? I had what the consultant called 'roaring AC' - came on in April. By June very little movement and extreme pain. I've had two hydrodilations (the first of which was absolutely excruciatingly painful I admit) and am now completely pain free and with about 95% ROM. It may be a non-surgical option for you?  Worth asking around for availability - I went all the way from Scotland to London for it and then discovered I could gave had it done in dundee! 
  • Posted

Hi I had fs and had mua/bone shaved/release of adhesions in feb this year and had to have further mua last april - was the best thing ever!!! First time round like yourself pain eased a bit but movements still rubbish but following 2nd op much much much better! smile do it you wont look back smile Doc said sometimes this happens when its a bad case of fs and he wasn't surprised I needed 2nd op....... I now have my life back smile 
  • Posted

Ugh!! That's my biggest fear- I'm looking at possibly having capsular release in Sept. but my doctor said he wants to make sure I'm " really frozen" before doing it so I don't re-freeze. I'm about 6 months in, but everyone's so different. If you are not already on "Frozen Shoulder Friends" on Facebook you need to check it out- SO helpful and many people on it suffering with this miserable condition!
  • Posted

hi, I tried physio, deep tissue massage, stretching with some relief. One day I woke up with my shoulder completely frozen and in so much throbbing pain. I contacted an osteopath who tried stretching my arm out.  she refered me to a well reknown chiropractor in Canada who specializes in shock wave therapy.  I was desperate so I went. He has a three point program- yes, expensive and not covered- but you are an important investment. he was willing to give %10 off if paying for two sessions at a time. I'm on session 6 after the past 3 weeks.  $75 a time otherwise.  

Sessions last about 15 minutes.  time breakdown consists of- 10 minutes of acupuncture, 5 minutes of intense shock wave therapy which is suppose to break down the scar tissue and encourage the area to start healing again- do not take an anti-inflamatory- and then manipulation and stretching.  First few appointments I was in so much pain.  I declined pain killers bc of the type of work I am in.  I found extra strength tylonel thank goodness worked and the topical Bell roll on pepper cream joint relief worked at night with heat.  I had to practice hanging my arm and swinging it and creeping my hand up a wall.  I could not do either as my arm felt stuck in several places.  Throbbing pain stopped and mild aching only.  Third and fourth session started to be able to reach my arm up and out.  Now on 6th, still some aching bc of some postural issues- almost full movement in arm.  Was recommended to take some joint lubricant - one type has shellfish so I couldn't take it bc of an allergy- I will start taking it tomorrow.  I was told to avoid a cortesone shot as it just masks problem and does not treat actual problem.  I am hoping that this therapy continues to be successful and is not as frequent. I would recommend the investment as it apparently cuts the recovery time in half and helps with the ability to unfreeze shoulder much sooner. I wanted to share bc I did not see much on this.  All the best.

• Posted

sheri, It sounds as if you had a shoulder condition prior to the sudden onset when you woke up with the severe throbbing pain. I scanned the medical papers and found the following on acute and sudden onset of severe pain in the shoulder. It seems the two most common are a septic arthritis  of the shoulder joint and a sub deltoid bursitis. Anyone with such an onset should see a physician as soon as possible and have it aspirated and hope there is no infection. I would think that if it is the bursa the same may apply and inject in some painkiller and or cortizone into the sack. Phoned my local phydio and she puts two AC pads on the deltoid and holds then on place with firm athletic tape. Then she stimulates the deltoid making it contract and relax thus pumping away the fluidd in the bursa. I'm not sure what shock wave will do when there is no real reason for scar tissue being present. In any case it seems the pain wwill resolve in a month without treatment of any kind.

Frozen Stiff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.