Capsule endoscopy

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am having a capsule endoscopy next week but as I have trouble swallowing tablets I wondered if anyone knew how big the capsule is please?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Clare,

I have been recommend for this as this is the next process for me.  I will be interested to hear how you get on.

I have heard from a friend of a friend who has had it done that it is the size of the largest tablet you can take if you know what I mean?

Good luck i hope it goes well for you.

• Posted

Hope you get this jenny as I'm not too good with computers. Oh dear I have so much trouble swallowing I don't think I can do it. My husband has to take a very large calcium tablet but he can chew it ... If I can use this again and find the right bit I will let you know..
    • Posted

Hi Jenny 33426

I have had the test and the capsule isn't that big at all. I had a small amount of liquid which helps break down gasses (I think) then the drink of water with more drops and then swallow the capsule. I didn't gag, choke, or bring it up. In fact it wasn't bad at all. I have to go back tonight to have the monitor removed from round from my body and results will be sent to my reffering doctor. So, don't worry and good luck. Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hello Clare,

Thank you so much for taking the time to message and update me! Huge well done for having it done and I really am so glad it all went well for you!

One question, did you have to have a sachet of fleet the night before having the capsule?

Thanks again.

• Posted

I don't know how big your particular tablets will be, but I can give you some advice. Presently I take 6 or 7 tablets at a time 3 times a day without any problem. Here's how I swallow them with ease. I take a mouthful of warm tea but don't swallow it right away. I tilt my head back and open my mouth, then insert all the tablets until they reach the back of my throat. Once they are at the back of my mouth, I them swallow them in one gulp, withjout any discomfort. I suggest you try this method. A warm drink prevents the tablets from getting stuck in my throat. I've been using this method for years now without any problem, no matter how many tablets I have to take at one time.
  • Posted

Hi Clare,

My daughter had to swallow an endoscopy capsule and I was with her when

she swallowed it. She always had trouble swallowing tabs and caps, but she swallowed the endo capsule fine.  It is almost the size of a regular omega 3 capsule. As long as you get the pointed end facing your throat then take water and swallow you will be fine.  Best wishes......

• Posted

Hi Clare, My mother has dementia and has periods when she finds it hard to swallow pills. I found a spray on Amazon called Pill gGlide which is like a mouth spray flavoured with strawberry. It was like magic! I have recommended it to loads of people and our GP and district nurses too. I would suggest you get a bottle - even if you don't end up needing it maybe it would help put your mind at rest. Hope it all goes well.  
  • Posted

Hi clare, its the size of a vitamin capsule. Dont think about , just swallow when the doc says to and you will be fine. It travels on its own . You dont do anything else. It takes thousands of pic as it travels sending the pics to a receicer that is usually attached to your waist. Go for it...  You' be fine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.