Capsules still sitting on my desk unopened

Posted , 5 users are following.

I brought my prescription home yesterday but can't bring myself to start taking it. Its such a huge step for me - admittting I have depression/ anxiety and actually taking medication. I feel like if I start taking Fluoxetine then I am admitting that the problem is mine - when my illness has been caused by 'chronic levels of stress at work'. I resent having to give in to a drug when the cause of my illness is someone else's responsibility. If I no longer worry so much (something the drug will help me with I understand) then I 'worry' I won't be able to continue the long fight ahead with my employer- that I'll lose focus on that. I was touched by the kindness of people's comment's on this site. Thank-you for reading this.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It is a big step, taking medication - I put it off for a long time, but once I had taken that step it didn't seem such a big deal. In my experience, taking the tablets won't stop you being \"you\", just hopefully a \"you\" that can cope better with things going on in your life. I am sure you will make the right decision for you. Take care.
  • Posted

Hi Gracie G

There is nothing to be ashamed of in taking AD's.

I'm glad i started. I wouldn't want to still be in the same place i was in December. The flu helps you to cope with everyday matters

It is a rocky road until the drugs get into your system and start working and although i had my doubts early on, i am now glad i took the plunge.

Things were not going to get better on their own.

Have you also considered having counselling?

I was dead against this at first but it is such a relief to offload everything on to a stranger in complete confidence. The NHS usually have a waiting list but some charities or privately would be the other way to go.

I hope you decide to take the flu.

Let us know how you get on.

Any questions, queries or worries, just post on this site. We are all here to help, support and comfort each other.

Best wishes and take care. x

• Posted

Thanks Meganpooch

I resolved last night to take my first capsule today....... I'll see if I can do it later. I know I need to and am just putting off the inevitable.

Like you, I was dead against counselling when this was suggested to me, but I've had a re-think and have asked to be put on a waiting list now.

Thanks for your kind and helpful comments.

• Posted

Hi Gracie G

You are more than welcome. If i can encourage a fellow sufferer to help them on the road to recovery then i will willingly.

Hope today was that day?! :wink: :roll: smile :?:

• Posted

[color=blue:d14c097577]Well, that's that done. I took my first capsule today. Unfortunately it made me feel very sad just doing that. Still, onwards and upwards! First steps are always the hardest aren't they.[/color:d14c097577]
  • Posted

Things probably cant get any worse gor you if you felt the need to get help.Give it time for the tabs to do their job and I am sure you will be glad you took that first step.What have you get to lose??I hope you have a good day.Take care :D xx
  • Posted

Hey Gracie G,

I had depression last year and was far too worried to take the AD's that were prescribed to me from hearing all the horror stories about them! I held off them as i was due to start counselling and thought that it would help better than any tablet! Boy was i wrong!! counselling alone helped for a while. I finished counselling thinking i was \"better\" and changed jobs, as i wasnt getting on where i was and thought that it was the main cause of my depression, and things were dandy for a little while! now i feel as though it has come back to bite me on the behind, much much worse! i had no hesitation in taking the first tablet as i could finally see what i was putting my children and my husband through! i was a mess but it took a trip to the doctors last week to see for myself what i was doing!

I am suffering with loads of side effects and wondering if i have done the right thing and if its all worth it, but im willing to give them a good go!

hope your well.

xx

• Posted

Hi Gracie

Well done you for taking the first step to recovery.

It doesn't matter whose fault it is that has put you in this situation.

Just remember to give yourself some 'me' time. It is a long journey but it will be worth it.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes. x :roll:

• Posted

Thank-you.

Day 2 on Flu. Nothing bad happened yesterday. Very little sleep, (not unusual), but no other side effects. Thanks for your kind words y'all.

• Posted

Hey, you've taken the hardest step - admiting you have a problem and seeking help. Now you just need to follow the docs advice.

Sorry to be hard but if you went to the docs and told them everything and they prescribed Flu then you obviously need it (and in the back of your mind you know you do). So, take the darned things and feel better.

It is worth it. Honest.

Coming up on end of 1st week and feeling much more in control.

Thank heavens for my green and yellow friends!

• Posted

hi peeps im new, first post woooooot :wink:

sorry to but in but im a lifer lol :? first a little about my illness history :roll: i've had episodes of depression most of my adult life 40+ years, its mainly genetic, im just starting to come out of a 6 month really nasty episode, worst ive had for at least 10 years. :wah:

i had been on venlafaxine for about 3 years (lots of others over the decades too), it stopped working so i decided rather than try something 'new' id give it a whirl without meds, bad, bad, bad mistake, managed minor episodes for 12 months, then BAM, id got into a hole i just could not get out of by myself, even with all the knowledge i've accrude over the years about this evil affliction grrrrrrrrrrrrr, id gone past the point of no return, to cut a looooooooong story short ive been on fluoxetine for about 8 weeks, im having good and bad days, but heh, a couple of weeks ago, there was no such thing as a decent day never mind about a GOOD one sad

*ahem, i digress, back on thread, what ya gotta figure peeps is, this is a major serious ILLNESS, its not imaginary, smoke and mirrors, witchcraft, blah blah blah etc etc its a real evil indiscriminate ILLNESS, after a certain point it aint gonna get any better WITHOUT meds, its only gonna get worse, no ammount of huffing and puffing is gonna alter that fact im afraid, it will end up with a full blown total nervous breakdown perhaps with psychosis and inevitably hospitilisation or worse, ie. self harm !!!!! if NOT treated :?

the sooner that help and treatment is started the better, the longer its allowed to be 'awake' and fester the longer its gonna take to 'put it back to sleep', its not just 'in your head' and imaginary, its a real physical ILLNESS, some of the neuro transmiters are deficient in the brain, its REAL :shock:

peeps that have, say diabetes, dont have a problem with taking meds (insulin) for the rest of their lives to feel well, similarly i dont have a problem with taking meds for the rest of my life for my GENETIC depression, so be it :cheers: for other peeps with 'causal' depression the meds will take care of it and can be discontinued when the persons previous 'status quo' has been resumed :cheerup: :rainbow:

sorry to ramble on, i hope im making sense, coss im having a bad day today, had a really good one yesterday, but heh, thats the nature of the beast, but having been here many times before doesnt make it any easier i assure you, anyhooooooooos just keep taking the meds peeps, if one doesnt work, try another untill you do find one that works, above all, dont forget, we're ILL not INSANE, take care, byeeeeeeeeee for nooooooooooo :cheers: :rainbow:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.