Car Accident

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forums here.

Three days ago I was in a car accident. I was stopped at an intersection waiting at a red light. A car was coming from the south and an SUV going north. The SUV made an unprotected left turn onto the street I was stopped on, but cut off the car going south. The car hit the SUV and the SUV spun and hit my vehicle, a mini-SUV.

Initially I was in shock and physically shaking. The paramedics checked me at the scene but I didn't feel anything at the time. Two hours later I started feeling pain. It started off gradual but increased with time. My neck and low back are painful.

I went to Urgent Care and told the doctor I had neck pain, neck stiffness and low back pain. I was diagnosed with Whiplash. He prescribed muscle relaxers which I take at night. I'm also taking over the counter medications several times a day for the pain. No x-rays or imaging were taken at the time.

Now I have never been in an accident before this and am not sure what to expect. The day after the accident I started having bad headaches. Now the headaches are constant and the pain is worse when my neck hurts more. Also having intermittent tingling in my right hand and I feel tired all day.

Is what I'm describing normal for after an accident or should I be concerned?

Thank you.

Sarah

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

This sounds pretty normal after whiplash. I was rear ended on the freeway when I was 19–my neck was frozen when I woke up the following day. If the tow truck driver hadn’t told me about whiplash symptoms that day, I would have woken up freaked out about my neck. I couldn’t move it!  I think you should get an exray, though.  And probably ask for some physical therapy pretty soon after you feel a little better...or even see a good chiropractor.  I didn’t do any of that after my accident, and I suffer from migraines now...25 years after the accident. I don’t know for sure if it’s related but a lot of doctors and therapists think it is.  You deserve to at the very least get an exray. Good luck to you and hope you feel better soon!
  • Posted

Ugh...whiplash can be tricky.  Call your doctor and get an appointment asap.  If the pain becomes unbearable before you can see your doctor go to the ER.  Sometimes a CT scan or MRI is required to help diagnose the injuries; e.g., a bruised brain stem cannot be determined off an x-ray.  Stick with medical professionals not chiropractic care at this point.  Good luck to you.  PS Try icing the back of your neck and back of your head several times a day.  Ice may provide some pain relief/management until you see your medical doctor.  
  • Posted

Yes,its very normal for a Whiplash injury and the problems can go on for several months I'm sorry to tell you. However as you had no xrays or scans at the time it may be advisable to go back and explain that you have tingling in your right hand and the pain is worse.

• Posted

My car was hit in the middle of an intersection by a man who ran a stop sign.  The hit was by the rear tire of the drivers side & caused my car to spin around.  I was pretty shook up but not in much physical pain that evening & did not go to a doctor right away.  The next morning my neck was sore & stiff, my back was in pain, & I had a headache.   I had x-rays taken.  I then went to a Chiropractor for treatment.  It did take a few months to heal, & I had to wear a neck brace. I would see someone about the headaches & the tingling in your hand, you could have a pinched nerve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.