Car accident A year on. RAMBLINGS/RANT

Posted , 5 users are following.

So, Hi! 

i haven't been on here in like 4 months. I can't say much has changed other than trying multiple different medications to ease my pain. However some things have gotten better; I have joined weight watchers (giggle) and have lost 2.5 stone so far (since december) so i'm glad that i'm finally getting that sorted!

background info:

After the car accident over a year ago!! (doesnt feel like that long ago as im still suffering, and have been told numerous times i will forever suffer with pain arthritis etc) i have chronic pain in my ankle/foot/knee/hip which were all hit in the car accident. 

I have such limited mobility and it really gets me down. I'm looking at 'better/bigger' mobility scooters to help me get out and about more independently. I'm 23!! This should be the time I thrive and go out and party and have friends etc. But no. I know in some ways I don't help myself as I refuse to use the scooter I have, and i dont have a social life at all. But I am trying. It's so hard to deal with the constant pain and the daily reminders (using a stick/seeing the scars) etc.

Before the accident i was going out to gigs on my own (happily) and making friends (trying) and losing weight etc but this has set me back. Today it all just seemed to hit me that this is it. I had a real good cry and felt sorry for myself! 

BUT ON A HAPPIER NOTE: 

I am currently losing weight i was 24 stone!!! I'm not 21 stone 6 so i'm getting there slowly but surely. I am also trying to help myself by talking on this forum to you!! Who probably understand and relate to what i'm moaning about!? 

I feel that people in my family really don't understand the day to day bulls*** that we have to deal with. PAIN, MOBILITY ISSUES, THE LOOKS THE STARES (every time you go out with a walking stick or in a chair or mobility scooter, like im not embarrassed enough!) SCARS, and ultimately being faced with the REALITY that this is my life. Im 23 i don't go out on my own because (at the moment at least) im so unbalanced and unstable im also on pain medication which makes me sleep alot so i miss half of the normal human day.

Sometimes it all just seems so sad.

Anyway I am trying to get my life sorted;

- weight

- some form of transport aka mobility scooter/moped/bike

- trying to keep afloat :P

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Katie, I too was in a wreck a year ago.  I broke my ankle in three places and have had 5 surgeries and recently had a fusion.  I have had a hell of a year with infection, pain and depression.   I have been praying and it helps.  I'm 45 and do not have youth like you do.  I drink 16 oz a day of chocolate milk.  This helps bones strengthen.  I'm not worried about my weight but I am worried about walking.  You must find a goal, a purpose.  This will allow you to channel your energies.  I recommend an antidepressant to help with the blues.  You will recover but you are fighting for your life.  Take it seriously.  You have come along way but god will help you the rest of the way.  My family doesn't get way.  Let's stay in touch.  I need to hear from you and the likewise is true.  Hang in there and don't lose hope.  Fight for it.

• Posted

hi mary thank you for your comment im so sorry to hear about your awful year. youve had so many surgeries! wow i do hope you are recovering and taking it easy. 

my goal at the moment is to lose weight and maintain it and when the weather gets better i want to go swimming at least once a week. i really need to start going out and about on my own. i am also looking into getting a motorbike/moped to help me get out and about. if money wasnt so tight i think i would book myself in for it now 

but yes, there are things to look forward to.

what do you focus on? how do you keep positive? 

• Posted

Katie,

What a challenge life's destiny handed you! You are brave to rant and get angry about your situation.

But now it is time to do something about it.

There are many life inspirational books out there but one of the best recent ones is 'Miracle Mindset' by American health topics author JJ Virgin.

Her son was tragically run over by a car and left barely alive with multiple skeletal and organ injuries. His doctors didn't hold much hope that he would ever recover and live a reasonably normal life.

JJ however is very knowledgeable about human health and healing, as well as being a very determined mother. The book details what mother and son went through to turn this tragedy around and help son to a 'miraculous' recovery (hint: it was less of a miracle and more hard work, persistence, and application of know-how).

Best wishes to you-- don't settle for less than you can achieve (I'm not saying it will be easy-- it will be hard work, but will pay off).

• Posted

Thanks for you comment I will look into getting that book it sounds really uplifting and motivating thank you!
  • Posted

Katie, I'm no expert but I would say that losing weight is the way forward...if you don't put so much weight on those damaged limbs you have a better chance of healing. Also hope you make some new friends through weight watchers.

Mobility scooter sounds a great idea..you are too young to stay at home all day.

Swimming too sounds good, especially if there is some social aspect.

Hope things soon begin to improve xoxo

• Posted

thank you very much :D i will get things on track eventually just takes time to rebuild hope you are well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.