CAR ACCIDENT!STIFF!!!BROKEN WRIST/ULNA BONE CHIPPED OFF/DISTAL RADIUS/BROKEN FINGERS

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I was in a car accident 10 weeks ago. My wrist was broken in two places. Distal Radius break and the ulna bone was broken off and has a piece just floating in my wrist. Three fingers broken.  Ring finger was broken very badly and needed a pin placed in it, during the surgery of my wrist wear a plate and 6 screws were placed. 

I was casted after surgery supinated with the cast going past my elbow with my elbow bent at a 90 degree angle for about six weeks.  For the first half of the casting time, my ring finger and my pinky finger were inclued in the massive cast.

I have been out of cast and in therapy for about 4 weeks now. i have very little movement in wrist. Can not rotate wrist at all and cant bend at all back...small amount forward.  I cant make a fist with fingers and fingers are painful and stiff.  The ring and pinky fingers are bent pretty badly and still swollen.  The whole hand and wrist is still swollen actually.  

I am a right handed tennis coach and need to get my movement, grip and strength back.

Suregeon is considering putting me under again and force manipulating movement in the wrist and fingers.  Has anyone ever had this done after surgery?

I fully believed that recovery was going to be faster with the surgery and plate/screws/pins being used, but I am starting to realize this may be a much longer process and I have to admit, I am starting to wonder if I will ever get full use again????

I am trying to stay postivie and just work hard on intense therapy, but it is hard to not have use of my dominant hand, wrist and fingers. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, firstly let me say I know exactly how you are feeling, I broke my distal radius & had a plate & screws inserted.I could barely make a fist & definately could not bend my wrist back or forwards after intense physio & numerous painkillers.

A month ago I had the plate & screws removed under local anaesthetic.

I can move my fibgers a bit more but not into a fist unless I force the fingers with my other hand.

I still cannot bend my wrist either way.

I feel utterly useless!! My next appointment with the hospital is in Nov & I shall be asking many questions as to why I am still in pain & unable to use my wrist.

Please take any help you can even if it is to manipulate your wrist under anaesthetic so that it hopefully gets sorted asap.

I broke mine 11 months ago, buy I am 61 so age is probably against my healing quicker, if at all.

Good luck & do ask lots of questions to your surgeon.

Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi, firstly let me say I know exactly how you are feeling, I broke my distal radius & had a plate & screws inserted. I could barely make a fist & definately could not bend my wrist back or forwards after intense physio & numerous painkillers.

A month ago I had the plate & screws removed under local anaesthetic.

I can move my fingers a bit more but not into a fist unless I force the fingers with my other hand.

I still cannot bend my wrist either way.

I feel utterly useless!! My next appointment with the hospital is in Nov & I shall be asking many questions as to why I am still in pain & unable to use my wrist.

Please take any help you can even if it is to manipulate your wrist under anaesthetic so that it hopefully gets sorted asap.

I broke mine 11 months ago, but I am 61 so age is probably against my healing quicker, if at all.

Good luck & do ask lots of questions to your surgeon.

Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Michelle! I am very sorry about your accident and the resulting injuries. If you decide to have surgery again; I hope it is successful. Maybe part of the problem is because your hand and fingers are so swollen it is very difficult to move them. Possibly when the swelling goes down, movement will be easier to do. Stiffness might contribute to the problem of movement as well.

I broke my ankle 3 months ago and was in a cast for 8 weeks. To begin with, thinking that once my cast was off  I could walk normally certainly was delusional. After doing some research and listening to the physiotherapist, I realized it is not that simple. Swelling and stiffness shall last quite awhile. This was very discouraging because I got my exercise by taking long walks.

When I elevate my foot, the swelling goes down. Maybe if you elevated your arm somehow, the swelling would go down too.

It is difficult for me to accept my life the way it is now. I am trying to be patient and positive. Some injuries take time to heal. Here's hoping that your hand and fingers fully recover with or without the surgery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.