Carafate

Posted , 5 users are following.

How many are taking the med Carafate for Barrett's esophagus?

I've been taking it since 2/18 and it has done little to help lower my pain. Thank you, Edward

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I was started on it by ER doc but Gastro Doc cancelled Rx and even pharmacist questioned taking with Prilosec

So cant really say about effectiveness..

• Posted

I live in Melbourne (Australia)I was diagnosed in May 2016 and prescribed pariet for 6 months. Later in Nov 2016 had one more biopsy and the diagnose was same. This time I got worried and took the matter seriously. I refused to go with PPI as it doesn't cure you. It just reduces the acid level. I started to avoid food and drinks causing acidity. I stopped drinking all liquids (alcohol, packed juices, soft drinks etc) except water and milk. Started eating food without garlic, tomato paste and tomatoes itself, all types of fried, fatty and junk food,  at evening eat only cooked vegetables or a luke warm glass of milk, reduced the quantity of intake. And followed Ayurvedic food recommendations for Vatta-Pitta. In addition every morning 30ml of Aloe Vera juice with water 1 hour before the breakfast.

Plus added every morning 30min Pranayama Yoga.

And all it worked.

In Feb2017 also did Panchkarma cleaning in Kerala.

Now on 27/07/17 I had the endoscopy and biopsy done and it was found that I no longer have Barret's.

I think both the diet and Yoga worked nicely.Wish you all the best and if you need any further advice, feel free to contact me 

• Posted

So glad you have no signs of Barrett's esophagus. I had heart bypass so I'm on a healthy diet. Fortunately, about 80 % of my pain is gone now.

Really appreciate your post as many MED sites claim BE can't be reversed.

• Posted

I take it for Barrett’s. I was diagnosed with Irregular Z-line (5mm) with intestinal metaplasia in October 2017. Because of my symptoms, I was given Carafate pills and told to liquify them on a tablespoon (I use about 11 drops of water) then swallow, 1 hour after a meal. I take them after breakfast and before going to bed. 

The pills help some, especially at night. While I never got much reflux at night, I would wake up every morning with throat irritation and pain right at the spot where my sternum ended, above the abdomen. Since I started taking the Carafate that rarely happens. Of course, I also pay close attention to my diet and lifestyle — no eating anything within 4 hours of bed, or any heavy meal within 6 hours, avoid water within 1 hour of bed, other liquids within 2 hours, angle my bed at 8”, etc — but the Carafate makes a difference. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.