Carbimazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I was diagnosed yesterday with overactive thyroid and given Carbimazole 15mg until I get appointment to see endocrinologist. Feel very sick today, is this normal. What is the normal T4 level supposed to be, gp didnt tell me only said mine was 26. Looking at some of comments does everyone put on weight when taking these tablets.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, It depends what part of the country you live in for thyroid results here it is between 11 & 24 so 26 wouldnt be considered too high. you also need to know t3 & tsh as you will have a much bigger picture. When i was diagnosed 18 months ago my t4 was 83 & tsh was suppressed so was very hyperthyoid. Hopefully you will start to feel better soon but it can take up to 6 weeks for carbimazole to kick in as your body has to get rid of all the excess hormones. Carbimazole cannot do this it goes to your thyroid to stop it producing too much thyoxine it cant get rid of the hormone that is already in your system. Hope you get on ok with your endo appt. As for the weight i lost 2 stone in 3 weeks but, once i started on carbimazole i put my weight back on i havent gained any extra.Keep in touch with your progress. Elaine. ps i also felt very sick but, not down to meds as i had this symptom before starting them but it will pass.
  • Posted

Hi, thanks for reply - just spoke to doctors, T3 is 11.0, T4 is 26.1 and TSH is 0.03. I live in Surrey and not sure what levels are here. Hope you can come back to me with any info, Sharon
  • Posted

Hi Sharon,Your t3 is a little high as is your t4 & your tsh is low. Here in oxfordshire t4 is 11-24 & tsh o.o1 I dont think it varies a great deal they go on population though how they do this is any ones guess lol. You have to remember that everyone is different & what may be normal for me may not be normal for you so go on how you are feeling.You will soon get to know when your levels are out. Hope this has helped a little. Keep in touch. Elaine.
  • Posted

Hello Sharon,

I have been recently diagnosed with an overactive thyroid also and prescribed with Carbinmazole and beta blockers to slow the heart down. I think my levels were very similar to yours . I initially felt really well up until last week where I developed severe fatigue and erratic temperatures , muscle weakness , pain under my rib cage, looking very pale and feeling really unwell ( onset 32 days after taking carbinmazole ) . After 4 days of feeling very sick i went to see my GP and was sent for blood tests ( my endrincologist was away on holiday) a coulpe of days later I had a call from my GP to say she was concerned as my liver function was all over the place and they weren't sure if it was a virus or the medication but needed me to come in urgently . I had already researched it my self and found out that there is a link with liver damage and this drug if you have an over active thyroid ( google it yuo can read the case studies). I did bring it to my GP's attention. I had another blood test done prior to this news as I was due to see my consultant this week Friday and this test was done 4 days after the initil one, that highlighted there was a problem with my liver function. My GP desperately tried to traced the results from the hospital but before he got to me the hospital had already contacted my consultant whilst on holiday re the results. My consultant sent an urgent message for me to stop the taking all medication and this was only yesterday . My GP then contacted me to say that the liver function blood results had got worse . Today is the first day off the medication so don't know the outcome until I see my consultant tomorrow but I will update up. So please don't ignore any warning signs even if you feel a nuisance just ask . GP's are aware that these drugs in rare occasions are not for everyone but they are very good for some people . I have found educating myself about the condition and the treatent very useful . That way you can keep on top of it. However, I am very lucky to also have a great GP that I trust .

Good luck

• Posted

Hi All,

Just googled to find out about carbimozole and weight gain and found myself here!

Caroline,

Similar to you. I lost a lot of weight (training for a marathon and constant stomach issues at the time, and stopped drink and junk too), periods were almost nonexistent, hungary all the time, and tired, but this all linked to marathon training too!

I was diagnosed with oa thyroid, on carbimozole and betablockers (only for 1 month). reacted well to treatment, however, blood test tomorrow an appt next week for 'fatty' liver. Doc said it could be from the thyroid, but are you saying it could be from the tablets?

I've put over 1.5 stone back on (how disappointed am I?!) so it clearly was the illness, and not the training sad However, saying that, my training is much better now my body's functioning properly!

Curious about the liver bit. Will google.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.