Carbimazole causing bleeding

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on 20mg of carbimazole for 12 days for my overactive thyroid. Today I had a blood test booked in to check whether dosage is correct.

This morning I went to the toilet and there was heavy, dark coloured blood in my stools. I told the nurse about this during the blood test and she said I need to see a doctor. There was not a doc available so I ended up going to A&E. They checked me over for piles and no sign of them. The nurse advised me that I will have to speak to my GP on Monday and see what they say now, once my blood results are back.

I am extremely concerned. Had anyone else had this happen to them?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would not jump to conclusions but would stay off Carbimazole until you see your GP. There are some rare cases of anemia provoked by this med,but it could also be a number of other things . 

The safest thing is to see an endo as soon as possible and in the meantime stop the carbimazole. Is your heartbeat affected badly? 

• Posted

When I was at the hospital they didn't advise me to stop taking carbimazole. They didn't really know what else to advise, except if it happens again come back immediately.

Yes my heart rate is elevated, but it has been for months, since I started noticing issues with my health. Only problem is my GP surgery are awful. They won't even see me face to face. Even on diagnosis it was a phone consultation, have no idea what exactly my blood levels are, and I doubt they will even refer me to an endo. Feeling pretty let down.

• Posted

You " need" to see an Endo! A GP will  not necessarily be able to /know what to tell you. Am sure you can get a consultation with one withut going through your GP.

try tapering your Carbimazole until then, minimum dosage is 5 mg and get to see a GP in person too, how can they check your heart rate over the phone?

• Posted

Hi adele27568, I found an NHS leaflet related to Carbimazole and PTU.

I am citing a paragraph: 'Very occasionally, Carbimazole or PTU can stop the production of white blood cells or blood platelets which are needed to form clots. (The signs are described below.) If this occurs, you should stop taking the Carbimazole or PTU immediately. This allows the white cells or platelets to recover quickly. The early signs that the medicine may be affecting the white blood cells are: a sore throat, mouth ulcers, excessive bruising or a skin rash. If you get any of these you should immediately stop taking Carbimazole or PTU. You should see your general practitioner or go to your local Accident and Emergency department the same day or next day. Take this leaflet with you. You will have a blood test. If the test shows your white blood cells or platelets are normal you should continue taking the Carbimazole or PTU.'

I will forward you the link in a private message. 

• Posted

i dont think it's from carbi.... try drinking more water...

• Posted

Hi, I think since you obviously are not a GP, you should refrain from giving this type of advice, since it coudl be very dangerous ** not ** to stop taking Carbimazole!! 

one of thepossible  side effects of this med - as explained in the accompanying leaflet - can be very serious.. 

You dont expect water to " wash it down " as it were ?!

caurions 

• Posted

Ok.. noted.. Please disregard my previous answer... But to answer your question adele... No this didn't happen to me... I was at 20mg 2years ago.  And no blood in my stool... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.