Carbimazole causing swelling of thyroid?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm down to 2.5 mg of carbimazole a day and looking to come off it very soon! It seems like when I take it or don't take it (not worked that out yet) my thyroid swells up!? Has anyone else had this? Trying to pin point this! My t4 in range (21) T3 slightly on low end (3.5) and TSH was still undetectable a few mths back! Due for more bloods in two weeks! Thanks smile.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My thyroid has swell after just taking one dose of carbi. Yesterday night.

I will discuss wth endo today.. i might start natural treatment. Bugle weed tincture.

My t3 12 and t4 was 5

• Posted

Hi Youkon is this UK results or US? I'm going down the natural route now too but I think it's wise to ease yourself into natural once your levels are dropping or in range. Get medical advice from a trained professional. 👌

• Posted

My result in saudi arabia. T4 37pmol and t3 13 pmol tsh .004

My thyroid iodine uptake scan came back my thyroids are not over active.

Thyroglobulin came back.64

Doctor said you have taken herbal medicine or harmone. I told him i havnt taken any harmone. Awaiting antibody test might come next week. He put me on 10 mg carbi daily and inderal 10 mg two times a day

• Posted

Hi karmaway. I have been taking carbimazole for 13 days now and not sure if it is making the inside of my nose swell and also my throat and inside my mouth , which im breathless anyway but possibly making it worst. Also my neck as swelled. Probably going to contact hospital tomorrow
  • Posted

Hi Rita, that's not sounding good! Like you've reacted badly to it. Yes speak to a GP asap. ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.