Carbimazole in relation to dental health

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am looking to find a link between carbimazole and tooth loss. I was on carbimazole for over 4 years. I found that whilst on the drug i experienced crumbling of my teeth and hair thinning as well as a whole list of other side effects. I have spoken to other people with hyperthyroidism and been treated with carbimazole and they have experienced the same thing. There are links on Google that connect the two but i am looking for real people that have maybe gone through the same thing. Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My dental hygienist confirms that there is a connection between dental health/ gum health and auto immune diseases and has seen it first hand with me. But I don't think there is anything on the internet to confirm it.  No tooth loss for me - but crumbling teeth and gum health has deteriorated. I think when thyroid balanced again these things are corrected.  Maybe someone else can add to this biggrin

• Posted

Ihave been on 5mg carbimazole twice a day for seven days but two weeks prior to this I had dental extraction of Wisdom tooth. Since the carbimazole I am experiencing pain spasms in the jwa where tooth was removed this was not there when tooth was removed. It worries me. Is it the carbimazole messING with my nerves
  • Posted

Hi, there is a documented causal link between thyroid disorders (hyper and hypothyroidism) and dental health problems. In fact, dentists are supposed to be extra vigilant when attempting dental work on patients with thyroid problems.

I can't include links but if you are interested you could search for the scientific paper with the title

Oral manifestations of thyroid disorders and its management. 

Here is an excerpt from this article: 'The oral manifestations of thyrotoxicosis, includes increased susceptibility to caries, periodontal disease, enlargement of extraglandular thyroid tissue (mainly in the lateral posterior tongue), maxillary or mandibular osteoporosis, accelerated dental eruption and burning mouth syndrome.' 

Additionally, anti-thyroid drugs like Carbimazole may make patients more susceptible to gum disease, mouth ulcers, etc, by suppressing the number of white cells (e.g. neutrophils). 

If you have such problems it is recommended to have a regular close interval check-up with your dentist or dental hygienist. I personally would recommend flossing every evening to minimise the risk of gum disease. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.