Carbimazole - lack of hunger

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am on Carbimazole 10mg daily, side effects are awful but trying to adhere I've noticed recently despite an increase in my T4 to 34 (they only test my T4 and TSH and that's only when requested latest test was 21.11.23) I am not hungry, I am not losing any weight because this drug sole purpose seems to make you fat and depressed - also noticed my depression is worse although that's untreatable so I doubt it's related.

Just wondering is a lack of hunger (I was horrendously hungry during height of Graves disease) is a thing with carbimazole? I've been up since 05:00 and tummy only just rumbled so about to have scrambled eggs.

Any ideas?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi tara43179, Carbimazole works by interrupting the production of thyroid hormone. If you are hyperthyroid, you have a lot of thyroid hormone circulating in your blood stream. This has to be used up for your thyroid level to come down, which happens over a longer period of time. At the time of writing you posted this 5 weeks ago and I hope you are feeling better by now.

I was diagnosed with Graves' disease and had to take Carbimazole for more than a year. Initially, I was prescribed 30mg and had side effects, but after my thyroid hormone levels normalized I was on 2.5mg daily with little side effects.

I also was constantly hungry and eating a lot while being hyperthyroid and loosing weight at the same time. Carbimazole helped in that respect. Do you refer to FT4 of T4? Is the value of 34 above the normal range?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.