Carbimazole side effects?!?!?! Going crazy with itching, help needed!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone! I have recently had to start taking carbimazole for Graves's disease. After 3 weeks of Carbimazole, I developed this horrible itch on my all of my body, no rash but just a terrible itch. I was given anti-hystamines by the doctor but they made no difference. A month later, my blood tests were fine (liver function was done too and turned out fine) and thyroid hormones within normal limits, but still itching like crazy. Went to the doctor again and they stopped the carbimazole, which they said could be the cause of this itch. 

It's already been a week since I've been off this drug and the itch has not subsided. 

Has anyone else experienced this with carbimazole? How long did it take for the itchy-ness to go away? Just going crazy here... sad

Or if anyone had any other side effects and had to change/stop these medicines, how long did it take for side effects to go away??

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi aaooxx, I'm a little different from you. I had severe rash a few months into my carbimazole medication (around November last year). It started with bumps of red dots and then pus started coming out of them and it was itching like crazy for quite a while. I didn't take antihistamine though. Instead my doctor gave me some strong antibiotic cream because my rashes were "infected" due to my constant scratching (dirty nails perhaps). I used the cream for a short period only (probably around a week or so) and then I saw a lot of improvement (the doctor mentioned to stop using once there was no more pus). Then I switched to a milder anti-fungal cream also prescribed by the doctor for a couple of weeks before the rashes finally subsided. 

Also, my rashes were mostly on my legs - entire lower leg portion. I recall during that period my blood test also showed stable thryoid range. My doctor did not request that I stop carbimazole. I was on around 5 mg daily at that time.

To be honest, I'm not sure if it was even one of the side effects from carbimazole... But I do notice other issues like thinning hair and regular tummy upsets. It has been around a year +++ and my carbimazole intake has reduced slightly. I do find my hair getting better though I still get tummy issues quite often. Perhaps the side effects may occur differently for different people.  

I hope this information helps and you'll solve your itching issue. 

All the best!

• Posted

Oh by the way I'm still using the anti-fungal cream when necessary. Sometimes I still get mild rashes here and there like on my arms, knees, thighs, back etc. but usually on small areas of my body and only occasionally. Previously it was just on my legs but now the rashes seem to move all over he body but on small portions. 
  • Posted

Hi

My skin was quiet a biy ichy when on carbomizole but not to this point. Sorry for your suffer. Hope you get better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.