Carbimazole Titration Treatment / latest blood results

Posted , 5 users are following.

Diagnosed with Hyper/Graves 3 years ago.  2 years on Block & Replace Treatment with failed remission. Both ATD's stopped for a couple of weeks (40 mgs Carb 75 mcgs Levo) before commencing Titration  Now on Carbimazole Titration Treatment (since beginning April).  Started on 10 mgs which produced the following blood results:-

10th May

TSH  13.21  (0.34 - 5.6)    Above Range

FT4   10.4    (7.5 - 21.1)

FT3     5.6    (3.0 - 5.0)      Above Range

Due to over-medication Endo then lowered dose of Carb to 5 mgs which produced the following blood results:-

31st May

TSH  4.12

FT4   14.1

FT3    4.82

All within the "medical" range

Latest blood result 23rd June:-

TSH   0.16         Below Range

FT4    15.9     

No FT3 

Over the last few weeks I have had extreme breathlessness upon any exertion which has become progressively worse over the last couple of weeks and in turn that causes anxiety etc.  Also feeling extremely cold - which usually happens when I have swung from HypeR to HypO and yet TSH at 0.16 is somewhat HypeR.  Very confusing.

I can see from the results that 10 mgs Carbimazole is too high and 5 mgs is too low.

Comments/advice most welcome.

Christine

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

2014 I was diagnosed with same as yours. 2015 my TSH started reading but still < 1. 2016 my TSH got stable >1 to <2.  2014-2016 I kept swinging to hypo and hyper symptoms.  What helped was changing my diet to no iodine salt and any fast foods. Green veggies and this year I found out in this forum about defeciencies we have like VIt D, Carnitine, Magnesium. I made my endo order my blood test except for Carnitine she doensn't want tanything to do with it so I ask my regular Dr but even her don't know how to translate it. So know i'm taking MultiVit no iodine, VitB12(for my forgetfulness at times), Vit D( found out i lack of it).  There is a light at the end of the tunnel you just need to know your body signals when hyper and hypo.  The 1st of month of methimazole(same as carbimazole)I had a setback, i got the itch and endo wanted to RAI. I did my researched and it will do more bad on my Grave's eye disease than good.  So I told her to give my meds another try but with lower dosage. And so glad we did. Everytime I feel hypo but TSH still not reading I go and get bloodtest done to tether my methimazole.  After 2 years I was confused as you my TSH low and why Im having hypo symptoms.  Well it has something to do with your T4 and T3.  Your TSH is the only acurate value if you're still a hyper.  Im at stable 1.67 TSH, but my doc said i need to be at 2TSH stable so she can take me off my meds .  

• Posted

Thanks hypnocool.  Yes, I think it best for me to aim for a TSH of between 1.00 - 2.00, it's just getting to it and keeping the FT's in the higher quandrants of their ranges and NOT suffering all of these nasty symptoms.  Quite frankly, I can cope with most of the symptoms but NOT the breathlessness/anxiety etc - it's too debilitating and I become so inactive because any exertion makes me puff and pant so much.

Christine

• Posted

Hi hypnocal

Last bloods show hyper I would have thought. Have you got any thyroid nodules?

​Have u ever had an ultra sound scan done at all?

• Posted

Yes. I have thyroid nodules positive for thyroid problem and also ultra sound scan prior to getting an endo dr.  Endo wanted ultrasound and blood test done prior to accepting me as a patient.  So picky...
    • Posted

query probably just trying to get your GP or whoever referred you to fund the USS and save the hospital or dept the cost.

Also makes sense in determining or excluding other causes etc.

Did u know/suspect  that you had nodules prior to uss?

• Posted

.. yes my dad's side have a history of hyper.  unfortunately i got it.  my cousin visited me and saw my neck and told me to get it check.  Said something about her dad had that bulging neck thing. get it check before it gets worst.

• Posted

Hi Christine

Last bloods show hyper I would have thought. Have you got any thyroid nodules?

​Have u ever had an ultra sound scan done at all?

• Posted

Hi delirious, yes I have multi nodular thyroid and had a scan about 2 years ago which showed the nodules to be benign and nothing to worry about at that time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.