Carbimazole - weight gain

Posted , 41 users are following.

I have so struggled with weight gain since taking Carbimazole. I have been taking it for 18 months now and despite being quite fit and constant daily exercise, I am not losing it and struggling to keep my weight down.I am a size 10 to 12 but recently found that I was moving to just the size 12 and had to revamp my wardrobe with baggy clothes. I am so depressed about my weight and when I mention it to my consultant, his professional opinion is \"its to do with the amount of daily calories I am having\". I have just come across this forum and am so grateful to see that it is not just me and that there are real people out there with the same concerns that I am experiencing. sad

5 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everyone hope you're all doing well. I too have Hyperthyroidism and been treated on 20mg of Carbimozole a day. First let me start by saying I lost 10 stone I was 23 stone and went down to 13 and half but though I weighed less my health was terrible. I couldn't get up off the floor or even run up the stairs I was like an elderly person going up the stairs one step at a time. Well ended up in hospital with chest pains and found out the chest pains were because my thyroid was severely hyper my TFT was 97 and also my heart rate at resting was 158 beats a minute. So enough was enough I decided to take my medication originally started off on 40 mg and 30 mg of propranolol I gained 14 pounds within the first month then another 14 in the next two month and about another 5 at Christmas so at Christmas my weight was 16 stone 4. I was taken off Propranolol and my dose lowered to 20mg of carbimozole. Anyway I've joined the gym and when I started the gym I was 16stone 13 more weight increase managed to lose 5 pounds but got weighed and now have gained another 5 pounds back. My wii scales say I weigh 17 stone 3 the gym ones say 16 13 and the electronic ones almost 18! I am seriously at breaking point. Although I'm losing inches off my body the scales keep creeping up and it's upsetting me I don't want to get back to 23 stone and the Doctors aren't understanding at all. Exercise eat well I do and nothing works. RI has also been mentioned to me but I can't have it because my partner works and I have two small children so I wouldn't be able to be within arms distance of them all the time because they are clingy. It helps to see that you have all gone through the same thing. I'm so sad and its affecting my relationship. sad
  • Posted

Hi Everyone Sorry for the silence from me but I am still patiently waiting for my date for RAI treatment.Shouldnt be long now I hope. Meantime I do feel sorry for you Mell-bells re your weight gain after doing so well losing all that weight .I have put on another 8 lbs this past month and I cant bear it. I am convinced it is the Carbimozole as I have been on 20 mg for the last 6 mths.My levels of tft. is down to 21 and I am hoping when I have RAI and come off Carbimozole I will lose it.Once you start to come down and they reduce you carbimozole I think your weight will level off.I have been told that nothing you do can reduce your weight until your tft is lowered.Good luck and go with it for now it will get better
  • Posted

Hi Mell Bells. I was really touched by your story. You really have been through it. You don't mention how long

you have been diagnosed for. I felt for you so much when I read your post because I know how miserable I was

with the weight gain, and yet as you say the doctors do not want to know. Please post how long you have

had this for. I am fortunate now that my levels are all back to normal now but I struggled with it. At my 18 month

appointment with the consultant he was so hyped up with preparing me for surgery or RI and thankfully my

partner had me on the herbals. This was the first time I started to see a change in my levels and I started

loosing a few pounds despite the fact that I was walking 5 miles every day. Because the herbals were so costly I had to start cutting down but I started going to the gym and increasing my cardio and my levels really started

to balance. It has taken me a long time to even feel any confidence with my body as the last two years have

made me feel so frumpy with the weight gain. I am a fostercarer and childminder so RI was not really an

option for me at present and when I told my consultant this he was not happy with me carrying on with the

Carbimazole but I felt the confidence in the herbals at the time so I insisted on him just keeping me on the

tablets and even managed to go down from 20mg to 15mg. There is light at the end of the tunnel and you do

say you are going to the gym so just keep it up. Forget the scales for a while. You know your body and you

say you are losing inches which is good as you are toning your body. I know its hard at the moment but I so

believed that the gym helped me with getting my levels down and just concentrate on getting better and not

your weight, I know its hard, but remember I have been there. Do you feel that you are being supported by

your partner. Just remember your partner is probably just worried about you getting better and not you gaining

the weight. And also think about it your not gaining weight because your eating loads, this is out of your control

so as soon as your levels start to balance your weight will too even though it does take a while. Keep us posted.x

• Posted

how did you all do the gym?

my doctor even suggest me to not have any sport because of my heart beating like crazy when i did..

and

i was pretty young when i started to carbimazole because my dad is hyper

yes.. like all of you i start to get weight even over nothing..

you know being

• Posted

you know being 15 at that time i didn't follow the strict med rule often forgetting it

when it was like that i do lose weight but my tft got high and my heart beating like crazy at doing nothing

so i started eating the med on time and had been gaining weight..

and i can't even have any sport its been years now and my hair even start to fall like alot i used to have thick hair then one day i relize it somehow became to fall really bad

my mood is terrible at first

like a swing up and down

now i felt numb

my body also felt numb a lot..

i started to fall a lot too

i keep eating carbimazole from start till now

because my doctor told me the hard thing that might happen from the Ri

so i will need to continue eating the med till death to keep the tft normal

but now i am not sure if it is the right thing to do

my stomach hurt so much from time to time

and sometimes i can't focuse at all

and i felt like i think slower too

and i used to have lots of friend and going out a lot

but lately i think i can't do it anymore

to the point i think i am depressed or something

but i live at a city and country which think of depression is crazy..

and i dont think my body can keep up the med

oh right..

i am 24 now and i start eating carbimazole at 15

• Posted

I've had Hyperthyroidism for 8 years. Since I was 15. When I get told to have a trial period off the tablets it goes rocketing up again. I was classed as been Eu-thyroid but the Doctors aren't willing to lower my dose. I see the endo every 8-10 weeks and each time its always the same keep taking your tablets don't over eat and exexercise. If I do any more exercise I'm going to become ill because the gym is taking over my life! I enjoy going though.

My partner used to be very concerned especially when they said I was almost in a thyroid storm at my last visit to A&E with the chest pains he was the one who told me to start taking the medication otherwise I wouldn't be around to see my kids grow up and so I did and yes I feel a million times better but the weight god it gets me so down! I am 5 foot 8 and are pear shaped so I don't believe I look the weight I do but my GP she is an awful women I have a slight prolapse and she wouldn't refer me to a Gynaecologist until I lose weight seriously as if I'm not trying.

I've started the slim fast diet today and hope that will help but I have a horrible feeling this is going to be how it is all my life. If I don't take my tablets it goes hyper again if I do then I have a constant uphill battle of trying to lose weight sometimes I go to the gym just so I don't gain.

I feel though that my thyroid levels might be up again because I'm feeling shaky and jittery and anxious again.

Thank you so much for your replies its helped. xx

• Posted

Hi Mell_Bells

Having read your thread I really feel for you regarding the weight gain.

I too did the gym and Slimfast. Although it wasn't effective for me everyone is different.

My thyroid has again become overactive after 17 months of being in remission.

But I refuse to go back onto Carbimazole unless my symptoms become any worst with fear of the weight gain.

Good luck.x

• Edited

Hi all, I have just recovered from a thyrotoxic storm, I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and the hospital took out my tonsils which the stress of the surgery caused the storm. I have been told by my doctor that my thyroid should have been under control before they operated. My function blood was 69 when I had the storm and was 44 when they let me out. A few weeks ago it went down to 22 but this week is back up to 33. I haven't been back to the hospital yet, I go on 6th August. I couldn't put weight on at first and struggled, I was 8 stone 10. Now my weight is piling on, 10 stone 2, I don't know what to do,
    • Posted

Hey cookie70.

I realise that your post is over a year old but I barely log onto the forum so just seen this.

I kinda resorted to the fact eventually that there was nothing more I could do with my weight gain after being on Carbimazole.

It got me down for so long despite regular exercise and dieting.

I eventually jyat bought more baggier clothes rather then fight it.

It wasn't ideal but the more I was stressing about my weight the worst it was making me feel.x

• Posted

hi all, can I ask alice in wonderland how things are going lately, I too have had the same problems with weight gain etc. im now six weeks past the radio active treatment and am feeling better. I now feel ready to fight

the weight gain, any advice. Im due to see the consultane in october so Im assuming they'll start me on the

thyroxine.

• Posted

irishwales I have sent you a message through the MESSAGE button hope you get it ok.Do try the forumOVERACTIVE THYROID as it does give a lot of help to people who have had RAI.See you there ALICE-IN-WONDERLAND
    • Posted

Just found this forum relating to carbimazole and wieght gain which I am also sufering with. Due to come off medication in the next month to see what happens and then told I will have the option of continuing with carbimazole, having RAI or surgery. You have mentioned in your posts that you were due to have RAI and I was wondering if this has now happened and if so how the process went and has it worked for you? Thanks.
    • Posted

Hey Alice

Since starting my thread I went into remission twice, once after a year and just recently for 17 months. I refused any surgery or RAI and continued on low doses of carbimazole.

As it has recently come back again I am currently refusing to go back on Carbimazole even though my consultant is really not happy with me as he just wants me to have rai or surgery.

I am getting palpitations and I am getting tired alot but I have heard that bugleweed tea is known to control the thyroid so I will try that and see how I get on.

I am putting off the Carbimazole as I really can't bear any further weight gain.x

• Posted

Hi, im new to the idea of blogs but thought id see what's out there as family and friends strugge to understand what its like to have graves disease, although they are ery supportive and empathetic. I came across this blog and ive read through these posts. Im very am very sorry to hear about the personal struggles you have all gone through with regard to the weight gain and other symptoms of graves. I'm 20 years old and was diagnosed only 4.5 months ago so am quite new to this and the endocrinologist is still trying to establish a dose that will leave me with balanced levels. I'm sure you have all gone through the routine of monthly blood tests etc. basically im having the same problem with weight gain and have gained 9 kg or do since being on carbimazole, despite tremendous efforts to eat healthy and exercise frequently. I was wondering if any particular method has been recommended for weight loss while taking carbimazole or if there's anything paricular which may help? Thank you. All the best!
  • Posted

I am soo happy to know taht I am not alone. About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with hyperactive thyroid and I was put on 6 pills per day. Poor me diid nt know th e implications I gauined 20 pounds in a MOnth and I didnt realise I memerb a friend said to me You look bloated not fat! lol ThenI stopped taking it and I never lost teh weight till this year! Unfortunately I had to test it and trealised i had to start agfain so a month ago I took teh courage and began taking it!! I have beeen exercising assidously as I am dertermined the weight gain wont hapn again idk if I have gained weight I hope nt it appears nt! I need to start eat less though bt this time I told my new doctor about the effects and she have me taking only two perday for this month and decrease to oner nxt month! My pulse has decreased in the two weeks I have been taking it yeah!! I hope I can just stick to one per day adn eventually it stabilize! Plus these pill taste real nice like sweets unlike the others i took before. Fingers cross! Keep the faith ladies! And exercise!!! These pills force me too whenever i dnt want to i rememberrr when i had gained 20 pounds and i look at my pics when i was 130 pouna dn now imm 158 after losing a little and I hoep to go back to that weight! Pray fro me while I pray for you guys. God Bless!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.