Carbmazepine side effects

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi.

i am now taking 1200mg a day, 3 tablets 4 times a day.  My tongue and lips are feeling a little tingly, I am light headed to the point I am losing my balance.  Has any one else had similar effects?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was oxcarbazepine an it quit working for me I went up to 1000 mg an my lips and tongue would be all tingling I since have gone off the medication and am on gabapentin again but I have break through pain most of the day I have a script I'm about to try tegretol I can't deal with this tn it's rough I think I have tn2 it's constant and in the middle of my forehead is the worst

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuropathy last year.  They put me on Tegretol, to which I had a terrible reaction. My platelet level went way down, from over 200K to 31K, and I developed a fever.  I got dizzy and fell in the shower.  I was very sick.  So, they took me off it.  It is okay to take, but just watch yourself very carefully and have your blood tested if you are really concerned.
  • Posted

This is scarry reading all the problems people have been having while taking strong medications like Carbmazepine.  I also was on it for a few months and had a lot of side effects like yours but it helped on the pain.  I had to go off it because of low sodium problem but when I decreased it the terrible shocking pains came back.  Luckily I then went in for a Balloon Compression surgery which worked!  I am now pain-free and will repeat this out-patient surgery if the pain comes back.  Good luck Dawn!!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.